5 international stories of the week

<p>Thousands of people take part in a funeral march Feb. 23, 2020, in Hanau, Germany. Several people were killed in a shooting in the central German city Feb. 19, 2020. <strong>(Nicolas Armer/dpa via AP)</strong></p>

Thousands of people take part in a funeral march Feb. 23, 2020, in Hanau, Germany. Several people were killed in a shooting in the central German city Feb. 19, 2020. (Nicolas Armer/dpa via AP)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The aftermath of a racist shooting incident in Germany, updated numbers of people affected by the new virus outbreak, President Donald Trump’s visit to India, the U.N. chief’s call to action on human rights and Julian Assange’s extradition hearing make up this week’s five international stories.

People show portrait photos and posters as they take part in a funeral march Feb. 23, 2020, in Hanau, Germany. Several people were killed in a shooting in the central German city Feb. 19, 2020. (Nicolas Armer/dpa via AP)

10,000 mourn victims of racist shooting rampage in Germany

Around 10,000 protesters marched Sunday through Hanau, Germany, to mourn the nine people killed by an immigrant-hating gunman Feb. 19. A 43-year-old German man shot to death nine people in the Frankfurt suburb before killing his mother and himself. Five of the victims were reported to be Turkish citizens. The attacker left texts and videos in which he espoused racist views, called for genocide and claimed to have been under surveillance since birth.

Read more: Germany

People wearing masks, walk across a street Feb. 24, 2020, in Hong Kong. The COVID-19 viral illness has sickened thousands of people throughout China and other countries since December. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

New virus has infected more than 79,000 people globally

The viral coronavirus outbreak that began in China, nicknamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization, has infected more than 79,000 people globally. More than 77,000 of those cases were reported from mainland China, mostly in the central province of Hubei. In China, the death toll due to the virus is close to 2,600 people. In the United States, 35 cases have been reported so far, separate from the death of one U.S. citizen in China.

Read more: Virus outbreak

President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump, and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrive for a rally at Sardar Patel Stadium, Feb. 24, 2020, in Ahmedabad, India. Trump's itinerary includes a visit to a former home of independence leader Mohandas Gandhi and a trip to the famed Taj Mahal. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

India pours on the pageantry with colorful welcome for Trump

Basking in adulation from a massive, colorful crowd, President Donald Trump and India’s Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, lavished each other with praise Monday in a reaffirmation of U.S.-India ties as the subcontinent poured on the pageantry in a joyful welcome for the U.S. president. More than 100,000 people packed into the world’s largest cricket stadium in Modi’s home state of Gujarat to give Trump the biggest rally crowd of his political career.

Read more: India

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres addresses his statement, during the opening of the High-Level Segment of the 43rd session of the Human Rights Council, at the European headquarters of the United Nations Feb. 24, 2020, in Geneva, Switzerland. (Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP)

UN chief issues 7-point ‘call to action’ on human rights

The head of the United Nations issued a “call to action” Monday to countries, businesses and all people to help renew and revive human rights across the globe, laying out a seven-point plan amid concerns about climate change, conflict and repression. U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ plan links human rights to sustainable development, crisis prevention, gender equality, development of the digital age and freedom of expression and civil society, among other things.

Read more: United Nations

Demonstrators march to protest against the extradition of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, Feb. 22, 2020, in London. Assange is fighting extradition to the United States on spying charges. (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Extradition hearing to begin for WikiLeaks founder Assange

Supporters of Julian Assange gathered Monday outside a high-security London courthouse where a judge is set to begin hearing a U.S. extradition case against the WikiLeaks founder. The courtroom showdown comes a decade after WikiLeaks infuriated American authorities by publishing a trove of classified military documents. Lawyers for U.S. authorities want to try Assange on espionage charges that carry a maximum sentence of 175 years in prison.

Read more: Julian Assange