5 international stories of the week

<p>A man dressed in South Korean traditional "Hanbok" attire wears a face mask in the snow as he gestures to take photos Feb. 17, 2020, at the Gyeongbok Palace, the main royal palace during the Joseon Dynasty in Seoul, South Korea. Chinese authorities on Monday reported a slight upturn in new virus cases and hundred more deaths for a total of thousands since the outbreak began two months ago. <strong>(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)</strong></p>

A man dressed in South Korean traditional "Hanbok" attire wears a face mask in the snow as he gestures to take photos Feb. 17, 2020, at the Gyeongbok Palace, the main royal palace during the Joseon Dynasty in Seoul, South Korea. Chinese authorities on Monday reported a slight upturn in new virus cases and hundred more deaths for a total of thousands since the outbreak began two months ago. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

An update on the number of people affected by the coronavirus, Americans aboard a cruise ship returning back, the Iranian president’s belief the U.S. will not pursue war against Iran, the possibility of Afghan refugees returning home and General Motors’ plans to pull out of three countries make up this week’s five international stories.

In this Feb. 16, 2020, photo, medical workers move a person who died from COVID-19 at a hospital in Wuhan in central China's Hubei province. Chinese authorities reported a slight upturn in new virus cases and deaths since the outbreak began two months ago. (Chinatopix via AP)

New virus has infected more than 71,000 people globally

A viral outbreak that began in China has infected more than 71,000 people globally. The World Health Organization has named the illness COVID-19, referring to its origin late last year and the coronavirus that causes it. In mainland China, there have been 1,770 deaths among 70,548 cases, mostly in the central province of Hubei. The United States has had 15 cases with one U.S. citizen dying in China.

Read more: Virus outbreak

Buses carrying U.S. passengers who were aboard the quarantined cruise ship the Diamond Princess leaves Yokohama port, near Tokyo, Feb. 17, 2020. The cruise ship was carrying nearly 3,500 passengers and crew members under quarantine. (Jun Hirata/Kyodo News via AP)

Trading quarantines, Americans from cruise land in US

Two charter flights carrying cruise ship passengers from Japan landed at military bases in California and Texas overnight, starting the clock on a quarantine period to ensure passengers don’t have the new virus that’s been spreading in Asia. A plane carrying American passengers touched down at Travis Air Force Base in northern California just before 11:30 p.m. Sunday. A second flight arrived at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas around two-and-a-half hours later.

Read more: Health

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani speaks during a ceremony celebrating the 41st anniversary of the Islamic Revolution, Feb. 11, 2020, at the Azadi, Freedom, Square in Tehran, Iran. Iranians took to the streets across the country for rallies and nationwide celebrations marking the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)

Iran’s president: Trump doesn’t want war ahead of 2020 vote

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday he doesn’t believe the U.S. will pursue war with his country because it will harm President Donald Trump’s 2020 reelection bid. The Iranian leader added war would be harmful to U.S. interests and those of its regional allies as well as Iran. He said Persian Gulf nations like the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Qatar stood a lot to lose if conflict between Iran and the U.S. turns to war.

Read more: Iran

In this Feb. 13, 2020 photo, Afghan refugee Hukam Khan narrates the situation of his country at a refugee camp in Peshawar, Pakistan. When Khan came to Pakistan 40 years ago his children were small, stuffed onto the backs of donkeys and dragged across rugged mountain peaks to the safety of northwest Pakistan. (AP Photo/Muhammad Sajjad)

Afghan refugees tell UN: ‘We need peace, land to go home’

After four decades of war and conflict, more than 1.5 million Afghans still live as refugees in Pakistan, feeling abandoned by their own government, increasingly unwelcome in their reluctant host country and ignored by the United Nations. Now, for the first time in years, there’s a faint possibility they might eventually return home. The United States and the Taliban appear to have inched closer to a peace deal, agreeing as a first step to a temporary “reduction in violence.”

Read more: Afghanistan

In this 2013 file photo, a car drives past a car dealership of Holden, General Motors Co.'s Australian subsidiary, in Sydney, Australia. GM announced it'd be pulling out of Australia, New Zealand and Thailand as part of a strategy to exit markets that don't produce adequate returns on investments raised. (AP Photo/Rob Griffith, File)

GM plans to pull out of Australia, New Zealand, Thailand

General Motors' decision to pull out of Australia, New Zealand and Thailand as part of a strategy to exit markets that don’t produce adequate returns on investments raised dismay from officials concerned over job losses. GM announced its plans to wind down operations for its Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand in 2021, sell its Rayong factory in Thailand to China’s Great Wall Motors and withdraw the Chevrolet brand from Thailand by the end of this year.

Read more: Business