5 national stories of the week

<p>Harry Ford, right, puts together a "vote here" sign at a polling station set up at Boonsboro Elementary School in Bedford, Va., Monday, Nov. 4, 2019. Several people helped set up the polling station in preparation for election day Tuesday. <strong>(Taylor Irby/The News &amp; Advance via AP)</strong></p>

Harry Ford, right, puts together a "vote here" sign at a polling station set up at Boonsboro Elementary School in Bedford, Va., Monday, Nov. 4, 2019. Several people helped set up the polling station in preparation for election day Tuesday. (Taylor Irby/The News & Advance via AP)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The 2019 elections, the ambassador to Ukraine’s testimony in the impeachment hearings, U.S. pullout of the Paris Climate Deal, Penske’s buyout of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the ousting of McDonald’s CEO make up this week’s five national stories.

President Donald Trump, left, talks to Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, right, during a campaign rally in Lexington, Ky., Monday, Nov. 4, 2019. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Election in 4 states offer a test of 2020 voter enthusiasm

Results in Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey and Virginia won’t necessarily predict whether President Donald Trump will be reelected or which party will control Congress after the general election next fall. Gubernatorial and legislative elections in four states Tuesday will test voter enthusiasm and party organization amid impeachment proceedings against Trump and a fevered Democratic presidential primary scramble. 

Read more: Election 2020

FILE - In this Oct. 11, 2019, file photo, former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, center, leaves Capitol Hill in Washington, after testifying before congressional lawmakers. The House impeachment panels are starting to release transcripts from their investigation. And in one of them, Yovanovitch says that Ukrainian officials warned her in advance that Rudy Giuliani and his allies were planning to "do things, including to me." (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

Former ambassador says she was warned to ‘watch my back’

Testimony from former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, released Monday, offered a first word-for-word look at the closed-door House impeachment hearings. It started with a warning to watch her back that people were “looking to hurt” her. From there, she told House investigators, it escalated into a chilling campaign to fire her as President Donald Trump and his allies angled in eastern Europe for political advantage at home.

Read more: Trump impeachment inquiry

FILE - In this Oct. 22, 2019, file photo, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks at the Heritage Foundation's annual President's Club Meeting in Washington. The United States has told the United Nations it has begun the process of pulling out of the landmark 2015 Paris climate agreement. Pompeo said Monday that he submitted a formal notice to the United Nations. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)

U.S. tells U.N. it is pulling out of Paris Climate Deal

The United States has begun the process of pulling out of the landmark 2015 Paris climate agreement. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that he submitted a formal notice to the United Nations. That starts a withdrawal process that does not become official for a year. His statement touted America’s carbon pollution cuts and called the Paris deal — signed by nearly 200 nations — an “unfair economic burden” to the U.S. economy.

Read More: Climate Change

FILE - In this May 26, 2019, file photo, Simon Pagenaud, of France, leads the field through the first turn on the start of the Indianapolis 500 IndyCar auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in Indianapolis. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the IndyCar Series have been sold to Penske Entertainment Corp. in a stunning announcement that relinquishes control of the iconic speedway from the Hulman family after 74 years. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings, File)

Penske buys Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar Series
By early next year, Penske Entertainment Corp. will take over all entities owned by the Hulman family for 74 years — the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, its hallowed grounds, “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,” the IndyCar Series and all its properties — in one of the biggest transactions in the history of motorsports, announced Monday. The 110-year-old speedway and its 2 1/2-mile oval track is one of the most famous venues in sports.

Read More: Indianapolis 500

The logo for McDonald's appears above a trading post on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Monday, Nov. 4, 2019. McDonald's sank 2.3% after its CEO was ousted after violating company policy by having a relationship with an employee. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

As McDonald’s CEO learned, workplace romance can be perilous

McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook is only the latest chief executive to be ousted over a consensual relationship with an employee. Increasingly, U.S. companies are adopting policies addressing workplace romances, a trend that began well before the #MeToo movement galvanized a national conversation surrounding sexual misconduct. His departure comes as McDonald’s steps up its efforts to stop sexual harassment after dozens of employee complaints.

Read More: Sexual Misconduct