Pierce: Astros, Nationals set to shine in Fall Classic

<p>The Houston Astros' George Springer (4) salutes Jose Altuve after he scored on Altuve's bases-loaded double in the fifth inning against the Seattle Mariners Thursday, April 19, 2018, at Safeco Field in Seattle. The Astros won, 9-2. <strong>(Dean Rutz/Seattle Times/TNS)</strong></p>

The Houston Astros' George Springer (4) salutes Jose Altuve after he scored on Altuve's bases-loaded double in the fifth inning against the Seattle Mariners Thursday, April 19, 2018, at Safeco Field in Seattle. The Astros won, 9-2. (Dean Rutz/Seattle Times/TNS)

Drew Pierce is a junior journalism news major and is a columnist for The Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Drew at dlpierce2@bsu.edu. 

October is here. Finally.

As a baseball fan, I live for October. Although the regular season is great, there is something about the Fall Classic that hits different. 

With both Wild Card games over, the field is set, and postseason baseball is underway. Here are my predictions as to how the rest of the baseball season is going to play out. 

ALDS

Minnesota Twins vs. New York Yankees

Of all the divisional matchups, this one is the most interesting. The hard-hitting Twins are matched up against an offense-heavy Yankees squad. This is interesting because the Twins are a team that came out of nowhere and ran the American League Central. Granted, the AL Central was extremely weak, but 100 wins are 100 wins. 

In the year of the home run, two of the best home run-hitting teams are going to light up the scoreboard. As long as their starting rotation gets it together, I believe the Yankees will win this five-game series, 3-1. 

Tampa Bay Rays vs. Houston Astros

To me, this is a no-brainer. Although anything can happen in sports, the Astros should really take this series with ease. The crazy depth that inhabits their starting rotation is astounding. Winning 107 games in a season is very impressive, and I believe they will go far in October. Astros take this series, 3-0. 

NLDS

Atlanta Braves vs. St. Louis Cardinals

This is one of the matchups that could go either way. Ronald Acuña Jr. and a core of young talent are putting the pressure on the Cardinals' pitching staff. A middle-of-the-pack group of guys might not be enough for the Cardinals to top the Braves. I have Atlanta winning this series, 3-2. 

Washington Nationals vs. Los Angeles Dodgers

This is my underdog hot take of the year. The Nationals are taking down the Dodgers. I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. The young talent that litters the lineup is unparalleled. Although their bullpen needs help, the starting rotation is very strong and will limit the amount of power the Dodgers produce. 

After a comeback victory at home in the Wild Card, the Nats have the fire and momentum to pull off the biggest upset of the postseason. I have the Dodgers coming up short in a gritty five-game series with the Nationals, 3-2. 

The Washington Nationals' Victor Robles (16) celebrates with teammates after a 6-3 win against the Philadelphia Phillies at Nationals Park in Washington D.C. Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019. (Scott Taetsch/Getty Images/TNS)

ALCS

Yankees vs. Astros:

Personally, this matchup deserves to be the World Series. The Yankees and Astros are the two best teams, and they happen to be in the same league. The Yankees have the hardest-hitting offense, and the Astros have the best starting rotation. This is a very interesting combination. 

This should be the World Series because it will display the best of both worlds when it comes to talent. The Astros will take the series in a very close 4-3 series. 

NLCS

Washington Nationals vs. Atlanta Braves:

If and when the Nationals beat the Dodgers, the Braves are not going to stop that train. According to ESPN, if the Nationals and Braves clash for the pennant, Washington is given a 51% chance of winning it. This may not mean much, but Washington has what it takes to shock the world. The Nats will take this series, 4-3. 

World Series

Here we are. The main event. The Astros-Nationals matchup will be one for the history books. An explosive young lineup meets a deep pitching roster. Before the postseason has started, the Astros have been given a 33 percent chance to win the World Series, according to ESPN. ESPN gives the ‘Stros a 66 percent chance of winning if they play the Nationals in the final. 

Statistics aside, the Astros are taking this one. This is where Washington’s spectacular run comes to an end. However, they will threaten the Houston's reign by pushing it to game six. 

That’s it. The Houston Astros are the 2019 World Series Champions after defeating the Washington Nationals in six games.