2020 presidential debate to be held at Notre Dame

<p>University of Notre Dame will host the first presidential debate Sept. 29, 2020 at the Purcell Pavilion of the Joyce Center. This is the first ever presidential debate to be held in Indiana. <strong>University of Notre Dame, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

University of Notre Dame will host the first presidential debate Sept. 29, 2020 at the Purcell Pavilion of the Joyce Center. This is the first ever presidential debate to be held in Indiana. University of Notre Dame, Photo Courtesy

Other debates the press release stated are scheduled prior to the election include:

Vice presidential debate:
Oct. 7, 2020
The University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah

Second presidential debate:
Oct. 15, 2020
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Third presidential debate:
Oct. 22, 2020
Belmont University
Nashville, Tennessee

The first 2020 presidential debate will be held at the University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Indiana.

According to a press release from the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD), the Notre Dame debate Sept. 29, 2020, will be the first of the three presidential debates. It will be held in the Purcell Pavilion of the Joyce Center at the university, according to Notre Dame's website.

According to CPD's history of debates, this is the first ever televised presidential debate to be held in Indiana.

“The heart of democracy is addressing significant questions in open, reasoned discussion that will inform voters as they prepare to cast their votes,” said Notre Dame President Rev. John Jenkins, who also serves as a member of the CPD board of directors. “Standing apart from the glitz and spin of modern campaigns, the presidential debates are that solemn moment in our national life when candidates are invited to discuss seriously the central issues before us.”

He added, “Notre Dame, along with the South Bend-Mishawaka-Elkhart region, will be in the global spotlight as a debate host. We will work closely with our community partners so that the region is ready to shine for our guests from around the country and the world.”

The website states six U.S. presidents have visited the university in the past few years, namely Dwight Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush and Barack Obama.