5 international stories of the week

<p>Pope Francis presides over a Mass for the closing of the Amazon synod in St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019. <strong>(AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)</strong></p>

Pope Francis presides over a Mass for the closing of the Amazon synod in St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The killing of the Islamic State leader, EU’s new Brexit delay, Chilean protests, Pope Francis’ call for new ways of evangelization and talks in Israel to break a government deadlock make up this week’s five international stories.

President Donald Trump speaks in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019, to announce that Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed during a US raid in Syria. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Islamic State still poses threat after death of al-Baghdadi

The killing of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi by U.S. forces leaves the Islamic State without an obvious leader, a major setback for an organization that in March was forced by American and Kurdish forces out of the last portion of its self-declared “caliphate,” which included portions of Iraq and Syria. But the militant group, which arose from the remnants of al-Qaida in Iraq, has ambitions to regenerate yet again and remains a dangerous threat in Iraq, Afghanistan and beyond.

Read more: Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

The Union flag of Great Britain and Northern Ireland flies in front of the clock face of the Queen Elizabeth Tower, that holds the bell known as 'Big Ben", part of the Houses of Parliament in London, Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

EU grants new Brexit delay to Jan. 31

The European Union agreed to delay Brexit until Jan. 31 next year Monday — just three days before it was due to take place. European Council President Donald Tusk said on Twitter that the EU’s 27 other countries agreed to accept “the UK’s request for a Brexit flextension until 31 January, 2020." The term flextension means the U.K. will be able to leave earlier if the Brexit deal secured by Prime Minister Boris Johnson is ratified before Jan. 31.

Read more: Brexit

A police water cannon sprays anti-government demonstrators in Valparaiso, Chile, Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. Clashes broke out Saturday as demonstrators returned to the streets, dissatisfied with economic concessions announced by the government in a bid to curb a week of deadly violence. (AP Photo/Matias Delacroix)

Stunning wealth, poor services behind massive Chile protests

Santiago exploded into a week of massive street protests that culminated Friday with more than a million people in the heart of the capital and other major cities — the largest demonstrations ever in the country. At a protest concert that drew 15,000 Sunday in Santiago, Chileans said the rise in cost of a metro ticket was merely the spark that set off years of frustration with the dark underbelly of their country’s long drive to be the most market-driven economy in Latin America.

Read more: Chile

An Amazon indigenous girl gives Pope Francis a plant during the offertory of a Mass for the closing of Amazon synod in St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

After bishops call for married priests, pope urges new ways

On the heels of a landmark call by Amazon region bishops for married men to become priests, Pope Francis exhorted Catholics to be open to fresh ways of evangelization. Allowing married men to be ordained in remote Amazon areas with severe priest shortages would chip away at the church’s age-old practice upholding priestly celibacy. It would help the church compete with evangelical and Protestant churches that have been increasingly winning converts there.

Read more: Pope Francis

Israeli President Reuven Rivlin, right, shakes hands with Blue and White Party leader Benny Gantz iafter he gave Gantz a mandate to form new government in Jerusalem, Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2019. (AP Photo/Sebastian Scheiner)

Israel’s Gantz, Netanyahu hold talks to break gov’t deadlock

Israel’s prime minister and his main rival opened a new round of unity talks Sunday in the latest effort to break a political stalemate and avoid an unprecedented third parliamentary election in less than a year. Israel has been paralyzed by political deadlock following an inconclusive election last month, with neither Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud nor the Benny Gantz’s rival Blue and White party in control of a 61-seat majority in parliament.

Read more: Israel