With the start of the school year finally here, it’s time to settle back at our desks to work on any essays and projects assigned to us this semester. As homework piles up, some of us may begin seeing our desks getting messy and unorganized. To help keep your desk organized this semester, consider these two DIYs that use materials you can find in your home or dorm room.
Cereal Box Desk Organizer
What you need:
- Two empty cereal boxes
- Duct tape
- Cut off the flaps on the lid of each cereal box.
- Taking one cereal box, draw a 4-inch-long diagonal line starting at the top edge of one of the box’s side panels. Use a ruler as a straight-edge.
- Repeat with the other side panel of the first cereal box.
- Draw a line across the front of the cereal box that is 4 inches down from the top of the cereal box. Use a ruler as a straight-edge.
- Taking the second cereal box, draw a 6-inch-long diagonal line starting at the top edge of one of the box’s side panels. Use a ruler as a straight-edge.
- Repeat with the other side panel of the second cereal box.
- Draw a line across the front of the cereal box that is 6 inches down from the top of the cereal box. Use a ruler as a straight-edge.
- Cut along the drawn lines on the first cereal box. This will be the taller cereal box.
- Repeat with the second cereal box. This will be the smaller cereal box.
10. Tape the front, back, sides, bottom and inside of the taller cereal box in duct tape in colors of your choosing.
11. Repeat with the smaller cereal box.
12. Taking the smaller cereal box, place three strips of duct tape on the back of the box. Fold the duct tape so that the tape is sticky on both sides.
13. Center the smaller cereal box on the front of the taller cereal box and attach the two of them together.
14. Enjoy your finished cereal box desk organizer.
Shoe Box Charging Station
What you need:
- Empty shoe box
- Duct tape
- Bottle cap
- Take the lid off of the shoe box.
- Turn the shoe box so that one of the longer sides is facing you.
- Using a bottle cap as an outline, place the bottle cap on the side of the shoe box and trace its circular shape. Draw as many circles as you need.
- With a pair of closed scissors, poke a hole into the middle of each drawn circle.
- Use the closed scissors to make the holes bigger until they are as wide as the circle you traced onto the shoe box.
- On one of the short sides of the shoe box, draw a rectangle wide enough for a power strip to fit through.
- Repeat steps 4-5 with the drawn rectangle.
- Tape the shoe box’s sides in duct tape in colors of your choosing.
- Repeat with the shoe box’s lid.
10. With a pair of closed scissors, poke a hole through the duct tape you taped over the circular holes you made in the shoe box.
11. Used the close scissors to make the holes in the duct tape bigger until they are as wide as the circles.
12. Fold the excess duct tape into the shoe box, covering the rough edges of the circles.
13. Repeat steps 11-13 with the rectangular hole you made in the shoe box.
14. Pull a power strip through the rectangular hole and place the power strip on the bottom of the shoe box.
15. Plug any chargers into the power strip.
16. Thread the charging cords through the circular holes in the shoe box.
17. Place the lid back onto the shoe box.
18. Plug in the power strip and your devices.
19. Enjoy your shoe box charging station.