2019 Disability Awareness Month events planned at Ball State

<p>March marks Disability Awareness Month. Disability Services and Alliance for Disability Awareness along with other cosponsors are coordinating events throughout the month to bring attention to disability issues. <strong>Stephanie Amador, DN File</strong></p>

March marks Disability Awareness Month. Disability Services and Alliance for Disability Awareness along with other cosponsors are coordinating events throughout the month to bring attention to disability issues. Stephanie Amador, DN File

With March being Disability Awareness Month, Ball State’s Disability Services and the student group Alliance for Disability Awareness (ADA) along with other cosponsors will be coordinating events and programs to bring attention to disability issues.

The goal of the awareness month, led in the state by Indiana Governor’s Council for People with Disabilities, is “to promote the independence, integration, and inclusion of all people with disabilities,” according to the Disability Services’ website.

Here’s a list of events and programs scheduled for the rest of the month:

ADA game night:
ADA will host a game night at 6 p.m., March 12 at the L. A. Pittenger Student Center in room 307 that will include braille and other accessible games.

Wheelchair basketball:
Cardinals can learn about and then play wheelchair basketball at 7 p.m., March 13, 20 and 27 at the Student Wellness and Recreation Center on court 4. Sport wheelchairs will be made available for use and no experience is necessary.

Disability awareness tables:
ADA will have tables present from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. on March 14 and 15 at The Tally in the Student Center where people can learn about different kinds of disabilities. Brochures, stickers and candy will also be available at the tables.

Goalball demonstration:
The Team USA Goalball team will be hosting a clinic for those interested to learn about the sport from 12 - 2 p.m., March 16 at the Recreation Center in room 141. In goalball, two teams of three players each face each other across a court attempting to roll a basketball-size ball with bells inside over the opponent’s goal line. Opponents listen for the oncoming ball and attempt to block it with their bodies. Once they stop the ball and take control of it, they become the offensive team. All equipment will be provided to participants.

More than I am (a challenged perspective):
Inspired by the “We are not your inspiration, we are your peers” movement from last year and the YouTube channel Cut’s lineup segments, the purpose of the event is to address biases and learn more about students with disabilities. The event will be held at 6 p.m., March 19 in the Kinghorn Hall multipurpose room.

Brett Eastburn:
Stand-up comedian Brett Eastburn will be sharing his act at 7 p.m., March 26 in the Student Center ballroom. Eastburn was born in 1971 with a congenital birth defect known as quadmembral limbs deficiency and has no arms and no legs. He began speaking professionally on subjects such as self-improvement since high school.