SGA proposes change to Ball State emergency text alert system

<p>On-Campus Chair Miryam Bevelle speaks to her caucus during a five minute meeting at the Student Government Association (SGA) meeting Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2019, in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. SGA intends on automatically signing up all members of the Ball State community for the university's emergency text alert system.<strong> Charles Melton, DN</strong></p>

On-Campus Chair Miryam Bevelle speaks to her caucus during a five minute meeting at the Student Government Association (SGA) meeting Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2019, in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. SGA intends on automatically signing up all members of the Ball State community for the university's emergency text alert system. Charles Melton, DN

Student Government Association (SGA) proposed an amendment that would change Ball State’s text alert system. 

The resolution calls for students, faculty and staff to be automatically added to the emergency alert text system. 

If a student, faculty or staff member does not want to be part of the alert system, “they will follow a procedure similar to what is currently employed to inform the university they do not want to receive those texts,” according to the resolution. 

The resolution states the university currently has an “opt-in” system for having people entered into the alert system. This means students, faculty and staff members have to voluntarily sign up for the system.

The current system is used when immediate and specific action of students, faculty, and staff is likely to protect them from imminent danger and also when classes are canceled or the campus is closed, Ball State's website states.

“Despite frequent attempts to remind students, faculty and staff via email to sign up for these text alerts, many people affiliated with the university still do not sign up for these texts and are not alerted to valuable information in a timely manner,” the resolution states.

Contact Charles Melton with comments at cwmelton@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Cmelton144.