Indiana State Police are investigating a man who was shot by Muncie Police early Friday morning.

In a press release, ISP said emergency dispatchers received a call of a house fire and a domestic situation in the 3600 block of North Franklin Street around 12:35 a.m.

When officers of the Muncie Police Department and the Muncie Fire Department arrived on scene, shots were fired.

"As fire personnel arrived and were entering the front of the home, the male came around the side of the house and encountered multiple officers with a handgun," ISP said in a press release. "Officers gave verbal commands to drop the gun, but the man refused to follow those verbal commands and instead pointed the gun in their direction."

Delaware County Emergency Communications said the male intentionally started the house fire. Police attempted to enter the home to get the male, but were unable due to heavy smoke.

Gary Mort, 56, was shot by Muncie Police and transported to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. 

Dispatch said the suspect was in stable condition around 3 a.m. Friday.

A neighbor told The Daily News they heard a lot of sirens and then what sounded like "fireworks and breaking glass."

MPD Chief Joe Winkle said three officers have been placed on administrative leave until ISP's investigation is complete. The names of the officers involved have not been released, though no officers were injured.

In a Facebook live Friday afternoon, Muncie Mayor Dennis Tyler said the emergency responders did a “fantastic job.”

“We had a very dangerous incident that could have ended up with a lot of injuries and our police officers and our fire fighters working together was able to defuse it and take care of it,” Tyler said. “We appreciate what they do for us here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. “

Once ISP finishes its investigation, the case will be turned over to the Delaware County Prosecutor's Office for review and possible charges.

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at or on Twitter@AndrewSmithNews.