IU becomes latest university to suspend fraternities

<p>Indiana University announced on Monday that all IFC fraternity chapters suspended all social activities with alcohol and unsupervised new member events. IU is just the latest in a domino-like effect of fraternity suspensions across the country. Indiana University, Photo provided</p>

Indiana University announced on Monday that all IFC fraternity chapters suspended all social activities with alcohol and unsupervised new member events. IU is just the latest in a domino-like effect of fraternity suspensions across the country. Indiana University, Photo provided

Indiana University became the latest to follow in Ball State's footsteps Monday night. 

The university announced that the Interfraternity Council (IFC) unanimously voted to suspend all social events with alcohol and unsupervised new member activities, according to the Indiana Daily Student

"I commend these student leaders for their efforts and look forward to working with them to create a safer environment for all IU students," vice provost for student affairs Lori Reesor said on Twitter. 

IU is just the latest in a domino-like effect of fraternity suspensions across the country. 

It was less than two weeks ago that Ohio State University banned all IFC fraternity activities after several hazing and alcohol violations. 

"The health and safety of members of the Ohio State community is our top priority," Ohio State University IFC president Drew Cooper said in a statement to The Lantern. "We commit to collaborating with parents, the University, chapters and their national or international headquarters to enhance safety and accountability in our Ohio State fraternity system."

There have also been similar probations put in place at Texas State University and Louisiana State University where two fraternity students died from alcohol and fraternity-related activities. 

The most public case is that of Penn State student Timothy Piazza who died after falling down the stairs at the Beta Theta Pi house. Officials found Piazza consumed 18 drinks in an hour and a half. 

Penn State banned the fraternity from campus and tightened restrictions on its other fraternities. More than two dozen Beta Theta Pi members are facing charges in Piazza's death. 

Contact Max Lewis with comments at lmaxwell2@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @MaxLewisReports.