Community Crossing Initiative matches $770,550 for Muncie road repairs

<p>The Indiana Department of Transportation warns travelers of construction changes during commutes over Labor Day weekend. The holiday weekend is one of the busiest times for highway travel in Indiana. <strong>Indiana Department of Transportation, Photo Provided</strong></p>

The Indiana Department of Transportation warns travelers of construction changes during commutes over Labor Day weekend. The holiday weekend is one of the busiest times for highway travel in Indiana. Indiana Department of Transportation, Photo Provided

In 2016, the Indiana General Assembly created the Community Crossing Initiative to match funds for road and bridge repairs. In order to qualify for funding, local governments must provide matching funds. 

Three hundred and ninety-six Indiana cities, towns and counties received $150 million for local road projects. 

“Superior local roads are a key factor in maintaining Indiana’s reputation as the Crossroads of America,” Gov. Eric Holcomb said in a press release. “I am encouraged that a record number of communities applied for and received funds this year, and I’m grateful to lawmakers for increasing the funding to sustain the community crossings initiative.” 

Muncie received $770,550 from the state to match funds for road repairs. 

By 2018, the Indiana Department of Transportation estimates $190 million will be available in matching funds. 

This story will be updated.