Planetarium showcases seasons in stars

<p>The Charles W. Brown Planetarium is a 52-foot dome located on Riverside Avenue. Every week, there are shows about the night sky, solar system and more that run for about 45 to 55 minutes and are for ages 10 and older. <strong>Samantha Brammer, DN File</strong></p>

The Charles W. Brown Planetarium is a 52-foot dome located on Riverside Avenue. Every week, there are shows about the night sky, solar system and more that run for about 45 to 55 minutes and are for ages 10 and older. Samantha Brammer, DN File

Starting in September, the Charles W. Brown Planetarium will be holding several free programs for all those interested in space, stars and more. 

Each show runs for about 45 to 55 minutes and are for ages 10 and older. Doors will be opened 30 minutes before each show so that visitors can make sure they get a seat, which are given out on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

Tour of the Late Summer Sky

When: Sept. 8, 9, 15 and 16 at 6:30 p.m. and Sept. 9 and 16 at 8 p.m. 

What to expect: Visitors will be able explore the sky, find constellations, learn how to use star charts and use stars to navigate through the sky. 

Saturn & Beyond

When: Sept. 22, 23, 29 and 30 at 6:30 p.m. and Sept. 23 and 30 at 8 p.m. 

What to expect: This event allows viewers to see information from orbits such as the Cassini spacecraft’s most recent journey around Saturn.  

Halloween: Celestial Origins

When: Oct. 20, 21, 27 and 28 at 6:30 p.m. and Oct. 21 and 28 at 8 p.m. 

What to expect: During the planetarium’s Halloween: Celestial Origins event, visitors will learn about Halloween as an astronomical holiday as well as its history and what constellations, planets and stars will be visible this year on Halloween. 

Planet Nine

When: Dec. 1, 2, 8 and 9 at 6:30 p.m. and Dec. 2 and 9 at 8 p.m. 

What to expect: Mike Brown and his team at CalTech can be joined by visitors of the Charles W. Brown Planetarium in searching the solar system for dwarf worlds. 

The Christmas Star

What to expect: Possible causes for the Star of Bethlehem’s appearance will be discussed. This event will also bring up misconceptions and current theories about the star.