Housing and Residence Life in search of student applications for fall semester positions

<p>The housing office is accepting applications for students interested in becoming a Residence Assistant or an Academic Peer Mentor. To be hired in one of these positions, the student must pass certain requirements. <em>Samantha Brammer // DN File</em></p>

The housing office is accepting applications for students interested in becoming a Residence Assistant or an Academic Peer Mentor. To be hired in one of these positions, the student must pass certain requirements. Samantha Brammer // DN File

With a new year and the beginning of a new Spring Semester in gear, Ball State Housing and Residence Life is looking for applications from students who are interested in working as a resident assistant or as an academic peer mentor in the fall semester. 

"We're looking for students that have the passion to serve people," Botsford-Swinford hall director Dani Badgett said. "We want people who truly enjoy working in the residence halls."

For those with questions, however, Ball State Housing and Residence Life representatives have answers to the questions they say are common from many of their applicants.

Q. What are the basic requirements to be a resident assistant?

A. You must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA, be enrolled in or have completed EDHI 200 with a B or higher, be able to work the entire year, be in good academic and judicial standing, have a minimum of 28 credit hours before the start date and have lived in the dorms for at least two semesters by the start date.

Q. What are the requirements for an academic peer mentor?

A. You must be enrolled or have completed EDHI 200 with a B or higher, completed a minimum of 28 credit hours and hold at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA.

Q. How much time should I expect to work as a resident assistant or academic peer mentor?

A. Although hours can vary by position, most resident assistants and academic peer mentors work close to 20 hours each week. "Duty times" also vary, and are determined by each residence hall staff.

Q. Can I have another campus job while working as a resident assistant or academic peer mentor?

A. No. Resident assistants and academic peer mentors cannot work other campus jobs that provide hourly pay or a stipend.

Q. Are there other opportunities to get involved with housing and residence life?

A. Yes. Students have multiple ways to get involved. Other paid positions are offered for desk positions, and students are also encouraged to get involved in their hall councils and other housing organizations, including the Residence Hall Association and National Residence Hall Honorary.

The deadline to finish the Resident Assistant and Academic Peer Mentor application is Jan. 16 at 5 p.m.