Student organization takes film critiquing to a new level

<p>Cardinal Film Fights is a new&nbsp;film debate show at Ball State. The club gets together each week to debate four questions about any topic involving film or television.&nbsp;<em>Allison Griffith // Photo Provided</em></p>

Cardinal Film Fights is a new film debate show at Ball State. The club gets together each week to debate four questions about any topic involving film or television. Allison Griffith // Photo Provided

CFF has numerous social media accounts including Twitter, Instagram, Soundcloud, YouTube, and Facebook. To get in contact with Cardinal Film Fights to join, either talk to one of the members of the organization or send an email to cffballstate@gmail.com.

Still in its fledgling stage, Cardinal Film Fights (CFF), has already begun to garner a bit of attention from Ball State students. 

The group produces an online show where they debate topics that have to do with film. Stuart Elmore, CFF’s president and a junior music media production major, notes how unique the club is to campus.

“It’s not like Cardinal Filmworks,” Elmore said. “It’s something entirely different. We aren’t a book club for movies. We get together every other week to debate four questions about any topic involving film or television.”

“We debate everything,” said Nick Evans, the group’s vice president.

Only six months old, CFF began as the brain child of Elmore and a few of his classmates in a sophomore script writing class. Urged on by their professor, and later their faculty sponsor, Kathryn Gardiner, the club emerged from a few class discussions about recent movies into a bi-weekly production.

“I’m a big fan of 'Screen Junkies' on YouTube, and every Thursday they have special debates on their channel called ‘movie fights.’ So the main idea behind Cardinal Film Fights came from that,” Elmore said. “Our episodes are shorter and a bit more formal, but it’s a similar concept.”

The organization is made up of two groups, the producers and the debaters. 

“The debaters are mostly telecommunications majors,” Evans said. “But anyone can be a debater if they get in contact with someone in the club. We have debated topics [such as] the least-deserving Best Picture Academy Award winner, the best Pixar movie, and the best original score.”

The production team is made up of nine people who work out every little detail of the show. They also pick the topics and questions for each show.

“Being on the production team is a great way to settle into a weekly routine working with equipment,” Elmore said. “We get to film our shows in a studio so it’s also great work for a résumé.”

All of the debates will be put online as both videos and podcasts, both of which are available to the public. Currently no debates have hit YouTube yet, but the first is scheduled to drop very soon.

Cardinal Film Fights is, as Elmore put it, “very casual and low-time commitment.” 

The club is simply looking to expand and grow and is still searching for new members to come and join the fight. 

“It’s a chance to put your debating skills to the test and just go on a rant,” Elmore said.