HOW TO: Navigate midterms

<p>As midterms approach, many exams will be taken on Blackboard in testing labs around campus. The available labs are located in Arts and Journalism 150, Robert Bell 134, Bracken Lab 008, Student Center 118 and119 and Whitinger Business 216.&nbsp;<em style="background-color: initial;">Grace Ramey // DN</em></p>

As midterms approach, many exams will be taken on Blackboard in testing labs around campus. The available labs are located in Arts and Journalism 150, Robert Bell 134, Bracken Lab 008, Student Center 118 and119 and Whitinger Business 216. Grace Ramey // DN

Extra quizzes, tests, projects — it's that time of year again. 

With the semester nearing its halfway point, midterm season is just around the corner for college students. For some, it's just part of the routine, but for others, preparing for midterms might not be so simple.

Freshen up your study skills with this step-by-step process to get the "A." 

1. Find out when and where your midterms are.

It might sound obvious, but the first step is to figure out which classes you have midterms for and when those midterms are. Some professors give their students midterms and others don’t, so it's important to know which of your classes are expecting additional studying and coursework. 

It's also important to know when those exams are given and how long they will be open if they're being given over Blackboard. In the event your professor doesn't remind you about mid-semester work, make an effort to double check the syllabus and ask the professor, just to be sure.

2. Study for the exam

One you've figured out which of your classes are giving exams, you need to study for them. The best thing to do is to start early, said sociology professor Richard Petts.

“Do not wait until a few days before a test to begin studying,” Petts said. “Preparation is the key to success.”

Petts also recommended students take notes while reading and ask questions once they're in the classroom.

“Instructors want everyone to succeed, and are happy to help students who are trying to understand the material and are being proactive,” Petts said.

Students should ask teachers if there is a study guide for the midterm, Petts said, and if there is one, use it. But be forewarned — Petts said professors will not make a study guide unless they think students will use it.

3. Find a Testing Lab

Many teachers give their midterms through Blackboard, meaning you have to go to an on-campus testing lab to take the exam. If you've never been to one, it might be intimidating, but don’t worry.

Once you're ready to take the exam, you'll need to go to one of the testing labs. For midterms, Unified Technology has made more labs open across campus. Available labs are located in Art and Journalism Building Room 150, Robert Bell Building Room 134, Bracken Library Lab 008, L.A. Pittenger Student Center Rooms 118 and 119 and Whitinger Business Building Room 216.

It's important to remember to turn your cell phone off. If it goes off during the exam, your instructor will be notified and your exam could be voided. 

4. Take the test

This is it, the midterm. Go through the test and answer all the questions you know —– don’t let one question hold you up, especially if the test has a time limit.

If your midterm is a project, be sure you've made the necessary preparations. And if you're in a group, ensure you're contacting your group members regularly and staying on top of deadlines.

If you feel like you may need a little extra boost, try some foods and drinks that are good for brain power beforehand. Above all, make sure to relax. If you've prepared to the best of your abilities, then you will more than likely do well on your exam.