10 foods to boost creativity, brain power

<p>Certain foods and drinks can help boost daily brain power and function. <em>Samantha Brammer // DN&nbsp;</em></p>

Certain foods and drinks can help boost daily brain power and function. Samantha Brammer // DN 

Everyone could use a little boost in brain function once in a while, especially when taking exams or working on class projects. Creative power is housed in the brain, and certain foods and drinks can help boost daily brain function and therefore boost some natural creativity.

If you’re looking to be a little more creative, try these 10 foods and drinks to bring a more interesting side to your work.

Blueberries

Blueberries are a classic “superfood.” In a study by Tufts University, blueberries were shown to increase one’s short term memory. The berries are filled with antioxidants and flavonoids, improving communication between neurons and allowing for improved cognitive function.

Nuts

In a study by the American Journal of Epidemiology, researchers showed that vitamin E can help slow decline in brain function. Nuts are a big source of vitamin E, and they also make a great afternoon snack.

Dark Chocolate

Who doesn’t love a little chocolate once in awhile? Chocolate contains flavanols, which increase blood vessel function and, in turn, improve brain function and memory. Chocolate is also a big source of antioxidants, which help muscle growth immune system health and skin cells.

Green Tea

Green tea is one of the healthiest drinks around and is filled with even more antioxidants. The natural beverage has been shown to improve blood flow and prevent plaques that cause Alzheimer’s disease.

Broccoli

While broccoli isn’t the most popular food among Americans, it has a large amount of vitamin K, which has been shown to improve brain function. Broccoli is also a great source of vitamins B and C, iron, fiber and calcium. All these nutrients increase blood flow and remove damaging heavy metals from the body.

Exercise

While this is not a food or drink, it's still essential to overall brain health. Exercise has been shown to slow mental aging, increase cognitive function and help us process information more efficiently.

Tomatoes

Tomatoes have a powerful antioxidant called lycopene, which has been shown to combat dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Lycopene has also been shown to improve mood balance, which can influence cognitive abilities. 

Whole Grains

Whole grains are a big source of complex carbohydrates, protecting the brain against sugar spikes and blood clots. Whole grains also contain vitamin B, which affects mood and blood flow to the brain.

Spinach

Along with being a great source of vitamin E, spinach has also been shown to prevent cancer cell growth, damage to DNA and slow aging of the brain. Reaction times have also been proven to increase with spinach-enriched diets, according to nutrition.gov.

Red Wine

For those of who are 21 and over, a glass of red wine has been shown to boost brain power. Red wine is known to improve HDL “good” cholesterol. Research from Columbia University has shown that people with high levels of HDL are less likely to develop dementia, and if you really want some extra benefits, consider trying Sangria. The added effect of the fruit will give you lots of antioxidants and nutrients, ultimately improving brain functionality and performance.