Angels for Life calls for student donations in blood drive

<p>The Ball State Staff Council is partnering with the Indiana Blood Center for the ninth&nbsp;annual Angels for Life blood drive.&nbsp;The blood drive will take place in Pruis Hall&nbsp;on Sept. 14 and 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.<em style="background-color: initial;">&nbsp;<a href="http://cms.bsu.edu/about/administrativeoffices/staffcouncil/angelsforlife">http://cms.bsu.edu/about/<wbr>administrativeoffices/<wbr>staffcouncil/angelsforlife</a> // Photo Courtesy</em></p>

The Ball State Staff Council is partnering with the Indiana Blood Center for the ninth annual Angels for Life blood drive. The blood drive will take place in Pruis Hall on Sept. 14 and 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. http://cms.bsu.edu/about/administrativeoffices/staffcouncil/angelsforlife // Photo Courtesy

The Angels for Life blood drive will be held on multiple two-day events throughout the year and into 2017 – the earliest starts on Sept. 14 and 15, and you can register to donate at www.donorpoint.org.

The Ball State Staff Council is once again partnering with the Indiana Blood Center to hold the Angels for Life blood drive for the ninth year in a row.

One donation of blood is equal to one "unit." Over 6000 units of blood have been collected in previous years and the center is hoping to continue its tradition of generosity in the upcoming months.

Angels for Life will be hosting their next blood drive on Sept. 14 and 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Pruis Hall.

There will be five donation sessions held from this September to May of next year.

Angels for Life collects more units of blood at their multiple two-day blood drives at Ball State than any other campus in Indiana, and represents the single largest campus blood drive partnered with the Indiana Blood Center.

“It’s a really important event, because you’re saving lives,” said Victoria McClain, office of the registrar and chair of Angels for Life.

Blood donations are typically separated into units that can be used for multiple patients.

McClain said blood supplies of all blood types are becoming desperately low. Just recently, she received reports of perilously low blood supplies in Indiana hospitals.

“As of [Sept. 13], for four of the six blood types, we have less than a two-day supply. So they have an urgent need for donations," McClain said.

Blood donations are needed for patients who are suffering from many different ailments, such as liver disease, severe infections, cancer or after surgery or severe injuries.

The O negative blood type is severely low at Indiana hospitals, which currently have less than a one-day supply.

It is not only Indiana hospitals who are experiencing critical shortages of blood. America’s Blood Centers and the American Red Cross are issuing a critical appeal for blood and platelet donors nationwide.

It would take 550 individual donations every day to maintain a sufficient supply of blood for all the hospitals in Indiana.

The Angels for Life blood drive hopes to help this effort by aiming for high donation rates at Ball State.

“Our goal for the Angels for Life blood drive is to hit 125 donated units of blood for each day of the accumulated blood drive,” McClain said. “Each donation will go to patients who are in need of it — their lives are on the line.”