National Weather Service issues tornado warning, watch continues into night

<p>The National Weather Service in Indianapolis&nbsp;issued a tornado warning at 9:12 p.m.&nbsp;for Delaware County and East Central Indiana until 9:45 p.m. Residents in Botsford-Swinford in Johnson A were alerted by their Resident Assistants to go to the first floor hallways for their safety. Freshman psychology major Cheria Wickham, not pictured, said she feels safe. At 9:46 p.m., the students were told it was safe to return to their rooms. <em>Allie Kirkman // DN</em></p>

The National Weather Service in Indianapolis issued a tornado warning at 9:12 p.m. for Delaware County and East Central Indiana until 9:45 p.m. Residents in Botsford-Swinford in Johnson A were alerted by their Resident Assistants to go to the first floor hallways for their safety. Freshman psychology major Cheria Wickham, not pictured, said she feels safe. At 9:46 p.m., the students were told it was safe to return to their rooms. Allie Kirkman // DN

The National Weather Service in Indianapolis issued a tornado warning for Delaware County and East Central Indiana from 9:12 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. on Aug. 24. 

The severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Elwood, Indiana, just after 9 p.m. According to NWS, the storm was headed east toward Muncie at speeds up to 30 mph. Students were advised to stay inside and take cover where possible but were released after the warning ended.

In Botsford-Swinford, residents in the building were required by resident assistants and hall staff to go to the basement for cover for the duration of the tornado warning. Emily Knouse, a freshman communications major, said she felt well-guided through the building during the process.

"I felt well prepared. Our RA told us what to do and alerted us on where to go," Knouse said. "This like a 'what more can happen on the first week'?"

During storm procedures, Delaware County issues tornado sirens and residence halls alert students inside to take cover over building-wide speakers.

"There have been tornadoes touching down everywhere, so I am not surprised this is happening and our RAs have done good on preparing us," Jeru Qadar, freshman computer science in Botsford-Swinford said during the storm. "I'm honestly kind of upset. This is not what I expected my first week of college, but it's kind of an adventure I can tell later on, too."

In the basement, students were instructed to sit on the floor to wait until the warning was complete. Cheria Wickham, a freshman psychology major in the Botsford-Swinford residence hall, said she wasn't thrilled about the storm procedures at first but felt safe after everything was over.

"It's was a surprise that it happened, but what to do wasn't a surprise," Wickham said. "I was here last week, and it rained like the whole week, so as long as no one gets hurt and nothing gets damaged, it's not that big of a deal. I feel safe."

No tornadoes have been reported in Delaware County as of 10 p.m. on Aug. 24.

A tornado watch in Delaware County and East Central Indiana continues until 11 p.m., with high winds and potentially dangerous storms still possible, according to the National Weather Service.

Earlier:

A confirmed, large tornado has been located over Indianapolis moving east at 20 mph, according to a National Weather Service Alert. The tornado is potentially dangerous, and individuals in the Indianapolis area should take cover. A tornado warning remains in effect until 4:45 p.m. for Northwestern Hancock and Northern Marion counties. 

A tornado watch remains in effect for Delaware County and East Central Indiana until 9 p.m.