Heavy rainfall leads to severe flooding, water rescues in Muncie

<p>Muncie experienced severe flash flooding Sunday night due to evening thunderstorms. An estimated 2 1/2 to three inches of rainfall came down in less than two hours, according to the National Weather Service. <em>Photo Provided // Sara Barker</em></p>

Muncie experienced severe flash flooding Sunday night due to evening thunderstorms. An estimated 2 1/2 to three inches of rainfall came down in less than two hours, according to the National Weather Service. Photo Provided // Sara Barker

If you have pictures or eyewitness accounts of the flooding in Muncie, please contact news@bsudailynews.com or share them on social media with @bsudailynews.

UPDATE

A flash flood warning expired at 1 a.m. Monday for southeastern Delaware County, but a National Weather Service hazardous weather outlook remains in effect due to the possibility of severe thunderstorms, torrential rain and strong winds throughout the first part of the week.

Potential of heavy rainfall later today. We'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Weather updates on City's social media.

— City of Muncie (@CityofMuncie) August 29, 2016

As of 9 a.m. Monday morning, Indiana Michigan Power reported more than 200 customers without power in Delaware County on their website.

EARLIER

Evening thunderstorms lead to severe flash flooding in Muncie after an estimated 3 to 4 inches of rainfall came down in an hour, according to the National Weather Service.

Many were without power as a result of the flooding, and the Muncie Fire Department reportedly conducted water rescues for people in their cars, stranded in high waters.

Avoid South Muncie if possible. Severe flooding, power lines down, trees fallen on homes, MFD water rescues. All emergency units responding

Muncie’s south and east sides were the hardest hit areas, with multiple reports of houses with water inside. There have been no reports of injuries, and Mayor Dennis Tyler posted on Twitter to advise citizens about a local meeting place for those displaced due to flooding in their homes.

Mansfield Park located S. Eaton Ave. is open for anyone displaced from home or residence.

— Mayor Dennis Tyler (@TylerDennis1348) August 29, 2016

The National Weather Service reported numerous road closures due to flooding east of Madison Street and south of Memorial Drive, and those driving were asked to avoid those areas through the night.

This story will be updated.