FBI recommends no criminal charges against Hillary Clinton

<p>FBI Director James B. Comey said the bureau will not be recommending criminal charges for Hillary Clinton in regards to emails sent on personal systems during her time as Secretary of State. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG</em></p>

FBI Director James B. Comey said the bureau will not be recommending criminal charges for Hillary Clinton in regards to emails sent on personal systems during her time as Secretary of State. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG

On Tuesday, FBI Director James B. Comey said the bureau will not be recommending criminal charges for Hillary Clinton in regards to emails sent on personal systems during her time as Secretary of State.

In his announcement, Comey said the FBI does not usually make public recommendations like this.

"In this case, given the importance of the matter, I think unusual transparency is in order," he said.

Comey's statement explained what the investigators did, what they found and what they would be recommending to the Department of Justice.

Comey said there ended up being multiple personal email servers used during Clinton's four years at the State Department, and older servers eventually became decommissioned.

"Piecing all of that back together — to gain as full an understanding as possible of the ways in which personal email was used for government work — has been a painstaking undertaking, requiring thousands of hours of effort," Comey said.

Comey said the investigators did not find evidence that Clinton and her colleagues were intentionally violating laws about the handling of classified information, but he said "they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information."

"For example, seven email chains concern matters that were classified at the Top Secret/Special Access Program level when they were sent and received," he said.

Although the investigators found evidence of "potential violations" to the handling of classified information, Comey said they are not recommending criminal charges for Clinton.

"Although the Department of Justice makes final decisions on matters like this, we are expressing to Justice our view that no charges are appropriate in this case," Comey said. "I know there will be intense public debate in the wake of this recommendation, as there was throughout this investigation. What I can assure the American people is that this investigation was done competently, honestly, and independently."