Events to attend in Muncie this summer

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF DOWNTOWNMUNCIE.ORG&nbsp;</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF DOWNTOWNMUNCIE.ORG 

The end of school means a new line-up of events and activities in Muncie. Here’s a list of what you can do this summer.

Open Blues Jam

8-11:30 p.m. May 12 at Valhalla Hall

Enjoy some live music at Valhalla Hall. This event happens every Thursday. Sign-up starts at 7 p.m., while the stage opens at 8 p.m. The event is free but only open to those 21 and older.

Shimmy Mob 2016 – Fundraiser for A Better Way

5-7 p.m. May 14 at Cornerstone Park

This event is being held to celebrate World Belly Dance Day. There will be 12 performances in the showcase. All proceeds will be donated to A Better Way, the local women’s shelter. The rain location is inside Cornerstone Center for the Arts.

Middletown, U.S.A.

7:30 p.m. May 14 at Muncie Central High School

The world premiere performance of "MIDDLETOWN CHRONICLES: The Making of Middletown, America" will be at this event. It is part of the official Indiana Bicentennial celebration.

Indiana Bicentennial Film Festival

6:30 p.m. May 20 and 4:30 p.m. on May 21 at Cornerstone Center for the Arts

A presentation of short films, documentaries and features about Indiana from Indiana filmmakers. The Delaware County Historical Society is hosting this event in honor of Indiana’s 200-year anniversary of becoming a state. The event is free and open to the public.

Moonlight Movies

7 p.m. May 21 at Canan Commons

DWNTWN Muncie will be showing a movie each month. There will be themed activities before each movie. Vendors will be on-side with snacks, and families are encouraged to bring blankets and/or lawn chairs and bug spray.

Farmers Market at Minnetrista

8 a.m.-12 p.m. May 21 at Minnetrista

Minnetrista will be hosting a farmers market each Saturday through the summer. There will be canning experts there to give advice and free samples. In June, the farmers market will be hosted on Wednesdays as well.

America’s Hometown Band and City of Muncie Memorial Day Service

11 a.m. May 30 at Beech Grove Cemetery

Beech Grove Cemetery will be hosting its annual Memorial Day Rememberance Ceremony. America’s Hometown Band will perform the music for the ceremony. Speakers in the program will be cemetery officials, Muncie mayor Dennis Tyler and local military organization representatives.

Relay for Life Walk

4 p.m.-1 a.m. June 10 at the Delaware Country Fairgrounds

The American Cancer Society Relay for Life is one of the largest fundraising events to end cancer. Unite with those who have battled cancer and lost loved ones at this event. Come take part in the fight against cancer with Delaware County. Register here.

2016 USAT Mideast Regional Championships for Triathlon, Duathlon and Aquabike

8 a.m.-5 p.m. June 11 at Prairie Creek Reservoir

This event is hosted by America Multi-Sport. Participants receive a t-shirt, finisher medal and Papa John’s pizza. Those over 21 also get New Corner Brewing. The top 33 percent or top five finishers in each age group (whichever is greater) will qualify for nationals. For more information, go here.

Thunder in Muncie

4 p.m.-10 p.m. June 17 at Muncie Dragway

This is the oldest “Diesel Only” event in the U.S. since 2001. For two days, come watch diesel drag racing, sled pulling, dyno, show-n-shine and vendors among other events. This is a family-fair style event. The rain date is June 19.

Delaware County Queen Pageant

7 p.m. June 25 at Northside Middle School Auditorium

Contestants will be judged on an interview with the judges, formal wear and professional wear. The winner will be the 2016 Delaware County Fair Queen. All contestants must be registered by June 15. Registration forms can be found here.

Yamaha Young Performing Artist

8 p.m. June 27 at John R. Emens Auditorium

Music for All will be opening its Summer Symposium Concert Series with this event. The YYPA program recognizes outstanding young musicians from around the world. Come for a night filled with classical, jazz and contemporary music.

Time for Three

8 p.m. June 30 at John R. Emens Auditorium

This musical trio doesn’t just play classical music. Instead, they blend in elements of country western, gypsy and jazz. Members are Nicolas Kendall, violin; Nikki Chooi, violin; and Ranaan Meyer, double bass. The trio carries a passion for improvisation, composing and arranging: prime elements in their playing.

DCI Central Indiana

7 p.m. July 1 at John R. Emens Auditorium

This drum and bugle corps show is for participants in Music for All’s Summer Symposium. Participants will get to experience performances by eight drum and bugle corps up-close after a picnic. There will also be a special performance by the camp marching band with Carolina Crown.

The Grascals in Concert

7 p.m. July 9 at Canan Commons

The Grascals, known for their bluegrass style, will be performing in a free concert. This is part of the Muncie Three Trails Music Series. The opening act will be the Stampede String Band of Indianapolis. More information can be found here.

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

July 9 at Prairie Creek Reservoir

This is an official Ironman event. Athletes will begin with a 1.2-mile swim in the Prairie Creek Reservoir. Next, they will bike 56 miles on closed state highways. The race finishes with a challenging run around the south side of the reservoir over rolling country roads.

The 2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie offers 50 qualifying slots for the 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee. More information can be found here.

Muncie Fit-Con

12-6:30 p.m. July 16 at Cornerstone Center for the Arts

This inaugural event includes a three-hour Dance-Fitness showcase. There will be presentations by local dance-fitness instructors as well as world-class dance-fitness presenters, such as Kass Martin and Steve Boedt. Types of dance showcased will be Zumba, Insanity, piloxing, belly dancing, hip-hop and PiYo.

Red-Trail Half Marathon

4-7 p.m. July 16 at Prairie Creek Reservoir

This half marathon is run on a course all the way around the lake. There are new trail sections that offer lake views the whole race. There is also a 5K and 10K for those who don’t feel like running a half marathon. At the finish line, there will be beer, wine, a cookout and a fire.

Tab Benoit in Concert

7 p.m. July 23 at Canan Commons

Tab Benoit, renowned delta bluesman, will perform in a free concert. This is part of the Muncie Three Trails Music Series. Chad Nordhoff, a local blues artist, will open the show. More details can be found here.

Faeries, Sprites & Lights at Minnetrista

July 28-30 at Minnetrista

This sparkling wonderland is a great place for kids (and even adults) to play around. There will be crafts, music, dancing and lights. Tickets are required to attend. Children 2 and under are free, adults are $6 presale through July 18 and $8 after.

Muncie/Anderson/Marion AKC Dog Show

Aug. 17-21 at the Delaware County Fairgrounds

This AKC dog show will be hosted by Marion Kennel Club, Inc. For more information about entries, contact Roy Jones at rjds@royjonesdogshows.com.