Code Red to compete in national dance competition for 1st time

A member of Code Red rallies the crowd during the game against Georgia State on Oct. 17at Scheumann Stadium.  DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY
A member of Code Red rallies the crowd during the game against Georgia State on Oct. 17at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

In January 2017, Ball State’s Code Red dance team will compete in its first dance competition. 

While this will be the first time that Code Red will compete in the United Dance Association (UDA) college national’s competition, this is not the first time the team has received an invitation.

In the past, Code Red was unable to attend the competition because of scheduling conflicts. 

Sophomore Code Red dancer Anne Cardimen said the team's increase in leadership has played a crucial role in the decision to attend.

“We didn’t have seniors this year, and the juniors really stepped up and provided great leadership. ... They were like, 'This is the year. If there’s any year, this is it,'" Cardimen said. 

In addition to being the first time Code Red has competed at the UDA Nationals, this is the first time the group has entered any type of dance competition.

Sophomore Code Red dancer Kaitlyn Ewing said stepping into competition is an important and exciting step for Code Red to take.

“All of us are very excited," she said. "A lot of the girls on the team come from competitive backgrounds and the fact that we didn’t compete turned a lot of competitive dancers away."

Although she has been dancing since she was 3, this will be Ewing's first opportunity to compete in a dance competition.

“I’ve never competed so this will be an entire new experience for me," she said. 

Code Red holds tryouts every year and encourages both male and female students to audition.