Student shares story of autism in light of Autism Awareness Month

<p>Junior meteorology major and vice president of&nbsp;Alliance for Disability Awareness, Lauren Slaven is one of&nbsp;40 students who have disclosed Autism to the Disabilities Services Office.&nbsp;She was diagnosed with high functioning autism spectrum disorder when she was 11 or 12, and received an&nbsp;Individualized Educational Plan&nbsp;that helped and special education department identify she needed and didn't need throughout school. <em style="background-color: initial;">DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR</em></p>

Junior meteorology major and vice president of Alliance for Disability Awareness, Lauren Slaven is one of 40 students who have disclosed Autism to the Disabilities Services Office. She was diagnosed with high functioning autism spectrum disorder when she was 11 or 12, and received an Individualized Educational Plan that helped and special education department identify she needed and didn't need throughout school. DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR

Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Center. About 1 percent of the world population has autism spectrum disorder.

The now-junior meteorology major would talk, learn and react to things differently than the rest of the "normal" kids.

Because these differences weren't overly apparent, it wasn't until Slaven was 12 that she was diagnosed with high functioning autism spectrum disorder.

One in 68 children in the United States have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), according to the 2014 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ADDM autism prevalence report. Because April is Autism Awareness month, offices and organizations on campus are working to make a difference for students with autism.

“My entire life, I had been different; it didn’t just appear,” Slaven said.

One of her teachers helped diagnose Slaven's disability. The teacher had noticed those little differences between her and the other students and encouraged her parents to get her tested so she'd be able to have the right accommodations for middle school and high school. 

“My parents did, and she was right," Slaven said. "I’m very grateful for that teacher for knowing things enough to realize that I am not just weird.”

ASD is a complex developmental disability. Signs typically appear during early childhood and affect a person’s ability to communicate and interact with others, and is defined by a certain set of behaviors, like difficulty making eye contact or holding a conversation or narrow, intense interests, according to the Autism Society.

After her diagnosis, Slaven went through testing and was mainstreamed into a schedule with mainly regular classes. She received an Individualized Educational Plan that helped her and the special education department identify which accommodations she may need throughout school.

While Slaven said the IEP and special education department helped her throughout school, the biggest obstacle she faced was getting bullied because of her autism.

“A lot of my accommodations ended up stemming toward that because I was bullied so severely that I ended up completing the remainder of my high school online in the computer lab in the special education department,” Slaven said. “I finished my senior year in two weeks, and I graduated early.”

Throughout her time within the special education department, Slaven said she felt safe and discovered her passion for helping other students with disabilities.

“In high school, I actually ended up doing four years of cadet teaching in the special education classrooms, both at the high school and K-12 level,” Slaven said. “I really enjoyed it. I understood a lot of what these kids were going through due to my own experiences.”

Because she had gone through a lot of self-teaching and advocacy, along with the fact that she hated high school, Slaven said the transition to college was actually an easy one.

“I had to do all of this in high school, and I knew what accommodations I needed,” Slaven said. “The transition into classes was great; the professors are great. Ninety-nine percent of them are more than accommodating and willing to work with you. I receive what I need, and if I ever have a problem, I go to disability services and I get that help.”

While Slaven didn't have a difficult transition, it can be hard for others with autism, Larry Markle, director of disability services, said. Because ASD is a spectrum condition, it can affect individuals differently. Currently there are about 40 students who have disclosed that they have autism to the Disabilities Services Office.

“Often times, students with autism may struggle in transitioning to college, with the new levels of independence that comes with being a college student," Markle said. "Once routines are developed and students become aware of the resources and services available, they do well."

The biggest issue Slaven faced coming to college was becoming comfortable with her disability.

“You’re taught to hide it, blend in, conform and be normal,” Slaven said. “It's hard to get rid of that, especially with most of us who are high functioning. If it is more obvious, people can be more understanding, that’s just how it is.”

Slaven wanted to hide her autism, and she had no intentions of telling anyone about it when she came to Ball State.

But that changed after her first day on campus. 

She went to the Atrium when it was crowded, and there weren't any empty seats. She got her lunch and panicked, trying to find somewhere to sit. She found one table that had only one person sitting at it. The student was in a wheelchair, and Slaven figured she would be the least likely person to be mean to her. 

“I asked if I could sit, and she said yes. I look over, and I noticed she had a T-shirt on that said ADA [Alliance for Disability Awareness] and, wanting to make conversation, I asked what that meant," Slaven said. "Little did I know, she was the president. She told me all about it and that it was for disability awareness, and I thought that this would be a chance to still do what I like and help people with disabilities.”

Since then, the two have become great friends and Slaven is now ADA's vice president.

She is also now comfortable with who she is and her disability.

“I realized that these people don’t care what label you have," Slaven said. "We are all in it because we have some sort of disability or we like people with disabilities."

For the first time in her life, Slaven said she has friends and is involved.

“I’m not just hanging out in the special ed room all the time,” Slaven said. “I’m actually making a difference on campus.”

The Office of Disability Services can offer accommodations for students, like extended testing time or forms of adaptive technology, Markle said. 

But autistic students on campus have more than just disability services to help them. 

The Center for Autism Spectrum Disorder works on ways to minimize the barriers that students have to go through when they transfer to the college level.

Evie Simmons-Reed, assistant professor of Applied Behavior Analysis, is a part of the faculty developing program at the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorder. She said they're looking at the support and services students need to be successful.

“While the school is already very great with advocating and providing services to students with disabilities, there is more to be done," Simmons-Reed said. "We need to really focus on providing support to a diverse spectrum of students and being open to that and de-stigmatizing and educating people about disabilities.”

Simmons-Reed said although the month of awareness is important, the spread of awareness and advocacy should be an ongoing thing.

“We have this autism month where we all come aware but individuals with autism have it every day,” Simmons-Reed said. “It’s important to create an environment where we minimize challenges and give accommodations and acceptance to students to feel comfortable and successful.”

While there are currently no events set for Autism Awareness Month, Slaven said ADA is working on planning something to get students involved and help spread awareness.