20-year-old stabs self near campus

<p>A 20-year-old from Greenfield, Ind., stabbed himself early in the morning on April 2, according to witnesses.&nbsp;<em style="background-color: initial;">DN FILE</em><em style="background-color: initial;"> PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP</em></p>

A 20-year-old from Greenfield, Ind., stabbed himself early in the morning on April 2, according to witnesses. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

During the early morning hours of April 2, Muncie police officers responded to a stabbing near campus.

A 20-year-old from Greenfield, Ind., was in a residence in the 1400 block of Ashland Avenue when Muncie Police Department officer Gregory Skaggs observed him sitting on the couch, bleeding just after 3 a.m.

“[He] had several, several scrapes and abrasions on his knees and arms, and when asked what happened to him, he advised that he had fallen down outside because he was drunk,” Skaggs wrote in a police report.

However, Skaggs said upon lifting the man's shirt to look at his wounds, a spot was clearly noticeable on his chest along with “an unusual amount of blood around it.”

EMS arrived at the scene to clean up blood, and Skaggs said he was then able to see a half-inch laceration on the man's upper abdomen. EMS later advised Skaggs the hole in his shirt was where he had been stabbed.

“I asked [him] why he had a hole in his shirt, and he admitted that he stabbed himself with a small pocket knife,” Skaggs wrote. “When asked why, [he] advised that it was because he is mad at everything.”

A witness at the scene, Ball State student Dorian Leonard, told Skaggs he saw the man stab himself with a knife over what may have been a breakup with his girlfriend.

He was later transported to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital where he was placed under immediate health detention. He has been released from the hospital.

Leonard did not respond for comment. 

Over the weekend, University Police Department also arrested one Ball State student for illegal possession of alcohol and consumption of alcohol by a minor on W. Neely Ave. just after 4 a.m. April 2.