Iconic Female Characters: Undyne

In honor of Women’s History Month, Byte is doing a month long Byteing Question about the most iconic female characters and why they matter. Every weekend, two writers will look at two characters that are important to them in many different ways. Today, we look at Undyne.

Undyne iconic females

by Meghan Duffy

Undyne is an awesome character from a game that is built on awesome characters. She’s the stereotypical shounen hero, except she’s not actually from a shounen anime. She just thinks that those are the real history of the world. Because of that, she has built up this entire persona around herself that’s focused on those tropes in order to become the biggest badass that has ever lived. In reality she’s the most hammy hero ever and it works so well. Watching her character progress in the game is a pure joy and every single line that she gives in the game is gold.

Her relationship with the different characters in the game is also incredible. She could easily have become this haughty, stuck up character who thinks she’s better than everybody else because she’s incredible strong. Instead, she has a great friendship with Papyrus, leading to the best phone calls ever where spaghetti is thrown at a cell phone.

She knows that even though he wouldn’t be a great soldier because he’s too nice, she still attempts to teach him and hang out with him anyway. Her relationship with Alphys is great as well. Even ignoring their romantic relationship, their friendship is also super important. Because of Alphys, Undyne became the character that she is, and Undyne constantly supports Alphys as well. Similar to the Papyrus situation, it could have easily been Undyne was completely nasty to Alphys, but it never worked like that. She was always supportive of her and tried to be the best friend -- and girlfriend -- that Alphys could have. Undyne works so well as a character. She has the right amount of tropes in her to make her entire character development a fun ride. In Undertale she probably sticks out the most to me as the best character, even among characters like Papyrus, Sans, Toriel, and literally every single character in that game except Jerry, screw Jerry.