Cousin Vinny's pizza box prompts Ball State bomb scare

<p>A suspicious package has been found at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center on Feb. 17. People are warned to avoid the area. <em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

A suspicious package has been found at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center on Feb. 17. People are warned to avoid the area. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The student who caused a bomb scare at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Feb. 17 was trying an unconventional way of paying a parking ticket.

Ball State student Jackson Hiatt, 21, was arrested and preliminarily charged with intimidation on Feb. 17 after dropping a suspicious package off at Parking Services.

The package was a Cousin Vinny's pizza box wrapped in a black trash bag. Inside, there was a plastic bag containing $20.20 in nickels and dimes, according to the University Police Department case summary.

Hiatt said he had no intention to prompt a bomb scare — he just wanted to annoy parking services for issuing the fine.

He was placed in Delaware County jail and was released last night on a $2,500 bond.

The box prompted the university to evacuate the Student Center and bring UPD, a bomb squad, the Muncie Police Department and the Delaware County Sheriff's K-9 unit to the scene. 

See earlier coverage here.