New FBI reports shed light on growing numbers of crime across the country, Muncie

Police cars line the street outside of the Robert Bell building after the report of an armed assailant Nov. 15 at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Violent crime rose across the U.S. during the first six months of 2015 compared to the same period the year before, according to new data released by the FBI on Jan. 26.

The preliminary statistics show a 1.7 percent jump in the number of violent crimes reported by local U.S. law enforcement agencies to the FBI, with increases in murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault, according to the report. However, burglary and arson crimes dropped.

The FBI statistics, pulled from 12,879 law enforcement agencies, also show a 6.2 percent jump in murders from January to June 2015.

Violent crime increased in all but one of the nation’s four regions. These crimes were down 3.2 percent in the Northeast, but increased 5.6 percent in the West, followed by a rise of 1.6 percent in the South and 1.4 percent in the Midwest.

"While the overall violent crime rates remain historically low, and it is too early to draw any long-term conclusions, the Justice Department is acutely focused on the increases being experienced in some communities of the country," U.S. Justice Department spokesman Patrick Rodenbush wrote in an email.

The preliminary report for 2015 does not provide localized data, and statistics for crime are reported at the national level before detailed reports for the entire calendar year are released in the fall.

These new statistics from the FBI offer only a limited snapshot since the data from local law enforcement agencies is reported to the FBI voluntarily, and the most recent published annual report is for the 2014 calendar year.

Indiana reported a total of 24,099 violent crimes and 330 murders, according to 2014 statistics. Although this was a drop from 355 murders in 2013, new data from 2014 puts Indiana in the top 15 states in the country for murders. Reports of rape in Indiana stayed fairly consistent, with a slight increase to 2,186 from 2,142 the year before.

In Muncie’s annual crime statistics report for 2014, released by the FBI last November, violent crime dropped from 288 to 277 incidents. However, two murders or non-negligent manslaughters were reported, with none being reported in 2013.

Burglaries also dropped in 2014 to 490 incidents. In 2013, 532 burglaries were reported, and in 2012, FBI reports indicate there were 690 total burglaries in Muncie.

Representatives from Muncie’s regional FBI agency were not available to comment on the results of recent crime statistics reports.

Ball State also reported annual crime statistics for 2014. Seven violent crimes and six rapes were reported by the university in FBI reports.

While property crimes in 2014 resulted in similar numbers as in 2013 — 236 and 231, respectively — burglaries jumped from 26 to 43, according to 2014 FBI crime reports.