This weekend in music: Kid Quill to perform at Dance Marathon, The Chug

<p>Kid Quill will be performing at the Ball State University Dance Marathon on Saturday. After his performance at Dance Marathon, he will be performing at The Chug at 11 p.m. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY LEVI TURNER</em></p>

Kid Quill will be performing at the Ball State University Dance Marathon on Saturday. After his performance at Dance Marathon, he will be performing at The Chug at 11 p.m. PHOTO PROVIDED BY LEVI TURNER

What: Kid Quill 

Where: Dance Marathon and The Chug

When: Dance Marathon - 6:45 p.m., The Chug - 11 p.m.

The Indigos and a cappella groups Outlet and Note to Self will also be performing at Dance Marathon

Kid Quill, whose real name is Mitch Brown, will be performing at Ball State University Dance Marathon on Feb. 20, followed by headlining a set at The Chug.

He is a senior communications major at DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind. He first started dabbling in music in high school as a joke with his friends. The joke didn’t stay a joke for long, and in June 2014 he released his first album, “Ear to Ear.”

“My music is technically hip-hop,” Kid Quill said. “It’s more of a hybrid genre, a mixture of Macklemore and Mac Miller. It’s really just me making what music I want to make.”

The album made iTunes’ Top 40, and Kid Quill’s career has taken off. He was a part of the NCAA March Madness Tour, opening for performers such as Rihanna and Passion Pit. He also performed at the Best Buddies International Leadership Conference in Bloomington, Ind., where his performance was similar to what he will do at BSUDM.

After his performance at BSUDM, Kid Quill will perform at The Chug at 11 p.m. His 22nd birthday is at midnight, and he said the night will be about celebrating.

“We’re going to be celebrating — celebrating my birthday and Dance Marathon, but mostly just life,” he said.

As far as his future plans go, Kid Quill isn’t stopping after he graduates from DePauw in May.

“I want to pursue music full time [after graduation],” he said. “I have a [second] album in the works. I’ve just been making music as I go.”