​Recycling accessibility vary for students living on, off-campus.

<p>Students that live off campus have a different experience with recycling. The Blue Bag system is confusing to some residents. <em>DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

Students that live off campus have a different experience with recycling. The Blue Bag system is confusing to some residents. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

For general questions about recycling in muncie:

http://www.munciesanitary.org/departments/general/recycling/?back=Departments

Request blue bags:

http://www.munciesanitary.org/forms/blue-bag-coupon-request/

Get blue bags here:

http://www.munciesanitary.org/department-pages/recycling/blue-bags/?back=Department_Pages

Students who live off-campus may have more trouble recycling than students who live on campus. 

Recycling bins are distributed throughout campus, but for students who live off campus, the process is more complicated than just finding a green recycling bin. 

None of the websites for Vie at Muncie (formerly University Estates), The Village Promenade, The Grove, Windermere or Wood’s Edge mention recycling for residents. 

For Amber Whitehead, junior elementary education major and Village Promenade resident, recycling is important. She said there aren’t marked receptacles for recycling at the Promenade.

“I absolutely would recycle if we had bins," she said. "I recycle at home, I recycle at work, I recycle on campus."

Village Promenade Leasing Manager Carey Grimes said the apartments are talking with Best Way Disposal about setting up recycling inside the building, which Whitehead said would make her happy. 

“I’ve actually said something to them about their weekly ads they put in our mailboxes," Whitehead said. "They’re huge, like from the middle of a newspaper. They’re completely useless. I’ve asked if we can opt out and they said, ‘No, we have to put it them in every mailbox.'”

Grimes said although Promenade does not have a specific recycling system, some residents use blue bags to recycle. 

Blue bags are provided by the Muncie Sanitary District via a coupon system, said Jason Donati, Muncie Sanitary District stormwater and recycling educator.

There is a lot of confusion surrounding the Blue Bag system, Donati said. The program is residential and only works if it is in the district. 

“If you have a green MSD trash can, we can send you coupons [for blue bags]," he said. "The blue bags are picked up and dumped at East Central Recycling in Muncie and manually sorted out."

Donati said MSD has done everything it can to make recycling as easy and convenient as possible. All recyclable goods can be put in a blue bag, put into a normal MSD bin and the recyclables will be sorted out. 

“Don’t overthink it," he said. "Just put anything recyclable in the blue bag."

Vie at Muncie also lacks a recycling program, said Leasing and Marketing Manager Brock Frazier. 

“We are looking into getting recycling more available for residents, but it’s expensive," Frazier said. "Currently, if residents wanted to recycle, they’d have to do their own."

Vie at Muncie is putting together a budget for recycling but there is no timeline yet, he said.

Kaitlyn Pulos, a freshman art and psychology double major, lives on campus. Pulos said she thinks the on-campus recycling is convenient.

“The residence halls make it really easy to recycle," Pulos said. "When you go to take out the trash, one-half of the room is trash and one-half is recycling, so you might as well recycle."

As for Whitehead, she said a recycling system in the Promenade would be incredible. 

“Recycling is one of those things I really care about," Whitehead said. "I’m like, 'The planet won’t be around forever! C’mon guys.'"