Students encounter snowy roads, cold driving conditions

Muncie received about 2 inches of snow on Jan. 10. Students were moving back in to start the spring semester. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Temperatures are on the rise after the National Weather Service recorded nearly three inches of snowfall in East Central Indiana early on Jan. 20.

After holding out in the mid 20s during the afternoon, temperatures are expected to drop below 13 by nighttime.

Although temperatures have been low for the first few weeks of the new year — the lowest temperatures dropping to 1 degree on Jan. 18 — forecasters predict warmer weather is on the way for much of Delaware County. 

The coldest temperatures in Muncie were recorded just more than 22 years ago on January 19, 1994 when forecasters recorded -27 degrees before wind chill, according to the National Weather Service.

Temperatures for the rest of the week will reach 30, higher averages than in past weeks, with lows in the low 20s. However, the night of Jan. 21 and the morning of Jan. 22 bring another chance for snow, although most forecasts are calling for the heaviest chances for snowfall to stay in the Ohio River area and to the south.

But even if the weather is warming up, students haven't had a great time with it so far. 

Sebhora Mentado, a junior telecommunications major 

“While I was driving on one of the roads on town, I came up to this hill that I didn’t think was going to be that bad. I got up the hill okay, but when I was going down the hill, I started to lose control of my car, and I came really close to going off the road. Snow and driving are not a good mix — it can get super scary.”

Rachel Vachon, a sophomore biology major 

“I went to Target in my car, and the parking lot kind of caught me off guard. I know it’s not the city roads, but I ended up spinning my car around the lot because it wasn’t paved at all. That’s the only thing I really hate about winter — unplowed roads and sidewalks.”

TJ Tekulve, a junior creative writing major 

“I haven’t had the best luck with snow recently. Coming back to school on the interstates last week was bad enough, and then today my car died and it won’t brake because it’s been sitting outside and the cold weather has really taken a toll on it. Now I can’t drive my car, and it’s still really cold outside. It’s definitely winter.”