Military integrates women fully into combat, special forces

Ball State ROTC members prepare to present the American flag before kickoff. DN PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

The armed forces will now be fully integrating women into combat military at the beginning of 2016, according to an Army-wide memo. 

Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced on Dec. 3 that women will be available to serve in any Military Occupational Specialty, including infantry, reconnaissance, armor and special forces.

The integration will begin as soon as Jan. 2, but no later than April 1, 2016, according to the memo. 

Professor of military science Lt. Colonel Kelly Rosenberger said the integration of women is up to the public, not the military. 

“We are subservient to our civilian masters. If integration is what the public wants, that is what they’ll get, and we’ll do it with honor,” Rosenberger said. 

But integration has not always been a popular idea, senior public history major Rishad Readus said. 

“A lot of people are against it," he said. "They wonder what happens with females being on combat, like, when they’re on their period, or whatever. I honestly think it’s great. I’ve met some females who are incredible, incredibly squared away."

Military women will have to meet physical requirements to be allowed in combat, he said. 

“I’m not going to be ignorant and say there isn’t a difference [between men and women]," Readus said. "We see it in our PT tests, we run in groups –– Alpha, Bravo, Charlie –– most females run in Charlie. Some of them might bust it and run Bravo."

Gender neutral physical standards will be enforced if a person wishes to pursue an MOS career, according to the memo. 

Sophomore political science major Cdt. Kaylin Armstrong said combat won’t be easy for anyone.  

“Females still have to meet the physical requirements that we have set forward," Armstrong said. "Not just anyone can go [into] infantry. I really think it’s great that females have the opportunity now. It’s just really not for me."

Senior architecture major Cdt. Aimee King said the integration creates opportunities. 

“This will give people chances to get into other parts of military," King said. "We’ll see how it goes. It’s good to see some more women out there."