Annual student event to thank Ball State alumni, friend donors

Ball State President Paul Ferguson signs the poster at the THAD Days on Oct. 8 at the Scramble Light. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Students will have a chance say "thank you" to donors who give money to fund student opportunities like scholarships, studying abroad and tuition.

The Atrium will have a display of balloons, music, a photo booth and an appearance by President Paul W. Ferguson for the second annual Thank a Donor Day held Nov. 5. The event is held for students and faculty to write letters thanking alumni and others who have donated to the university.

“We graduate a population of students that don’t understand [that] alumni give back,” said Lola Mauer, associate vice president of engagement and giving.

Over 22,000 alumni and friends have given over $14 million to Ball State this year, and Mauer said she wants this event to be a way to educate students, faculty and staff on how much alumni and friends benefit the university.

Parents also give money to the university through the parent fund. The fund has accumulated $40,000 that has helped pay for Late Nite, Cardinal Kitchen and scholarships, she said.

Marissa Kunkel, assistant director of Phonathon and student engagement, said the spirit of giving back to the community is based through the idea of Ball State’s beneficence. 

The Phonathon raises over $600,000 for Ball State, and donations contribute to the cost of tuition, scholarships, studying abroad, athletics and more.

Buildings such as the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreational and Wellness Center, Shafer Tower and the Charles W. Brown Planetarium have all been made possible through funding from alumni and friends.

Faculty and staff also contribute to the overall donations with payroll reductions where a certain amount of money is taken out of their paycheck for the university. 

Last year, more than 600 letters were written during Thank a Donor Day, and this year they hope to have even more.

The letters will be given to those pulled from a list of alumni and friends and will be mailed the week of Thanksgiving.

A student organization, Council for Alumni and Student Engagement, has helped put on this event, along with the University Foundation.

“It’s definitely going to be the biggest on-campus event that CASE will be involved in,” Kunkel said.

Students in the organization will be at the Scramble Light and up and down McKinley Avenue holding signs with donor's quotes, saying why they give to Ball State.

“Stay involved and stay active,” said Kunkel. “Money is money, and money can go a long way even if it’s just a little bit. If you’re staying true to your alma mater, Ball State will be here for you no matter what.”