Second annual Online Education Week celebrates program's success

<p>From Nov. 9 to Nov. 12, Ball State is celebrating Online Education week after increasing their enrollment by 14.9 percent. This is the second year for the week of celebration after having a successful week last year.&nbsp;<em>&nbsp;</em><em>DN PHOTO RAYMOND GARCIA</em></p>

From Nov. 9 to Nov. 12, Ball State is celebrating Online Education week after increasing their enrollment by 14.9 percent. This is the second year for the week of celebration after having a successful week last year.  DN PHOTO RAYMOND GARCIA

Schedule of Events

Nov. 9 

• 11 a.m to 1 p.m. – Information Table at Bracken Library

Nov. 10 

• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Information Table at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center

• 5 to 6:30 p.m – Leading from Afar: Celebrating Excellence in Online and Distance Education in Student Center, room 301.

Nov. 11 

• 11 a.m to 1 p.m – Information Table at Bracken Library and the Scramble Light

• Noon – Cultural Exchange Luncheon in the Rinker Center for International Programs in the Student Center.

Nov. 12

• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Information Table in the Atrium

• 2 p.m. – I Just Can’t Cope: Stress Management in David Letterman Communication and Media Building, room 131.

Ball State is using Online Education Week to tout its success after increasing enrollment by 14.9 percent. 

The week is a chance for people to learn the importance of online education and to celebrate online students, said Staci Davis, executive director of online and distance education programs. Many of the events will be live-streamed. 

“It brings a new light and new scope to their perception of us, that [online students] are an important part of who Ball State is,” Davis said.

Davis said last year’s inaugural celebration was successful, and they wanted to expand the events this year by having a keynote speaker. Larry Ragan, co-director of the Center for Online Innovation in Learning at Pennsylvania State University, will be speaking about the relevance of online education and how organizations can be more innovative with it.

One of the university's focuses in President Paul W. Ferguson's Centennial Commitment is online education. The goal is to provide contemporary practices for online learning.

Ashley Adams, assistant director of student services, said one of the factors that makes the online program successful is the design of the courses.

“It is not just a copy of the on-campus course put in an online format,” Adams said. “The courses are built to connect with the student to make sure there are meaningful assessments and assignments that they can do online.”

The iLearn: Integrated Learning Institute has assisted and supported faculty in developing their online course, Davis said. Prior to three years ago, Ball State didn’t have a faculty support unit.

“For online students, the more we can keep them engaged [and] the more support and services we can offer them, the more success they’re going to have,” Davis said.

Adams said they are always looking to build awareness of the university’s online and distance education program, which is part of the reason why events such as Online Education Week are put together. 

“We are always looking to celebrate online student success; we have a lot of very successful online students academically and civically,” Adams said.