Eight signs you're a foreign language major

1. “I sometimes start speaking another language without even realizing it.” – Lauren Seitz, Senior, French major

2. “You often find yourself learning not one, but multiple foreign languages.” – Bethany Schmidt, senior, German major

It’s like drugs, or … chocolate. Once you start exercising your language muscles, it can be difficult to limit yourself to one language.

3. “You have changed the language settings on your phone to the language you are studying.” – Anna Stephens, sophomore, Spanish major

Unless you want “C’est la vie” to become “Vest me vie” or “Me gusta” to become “Me gusts,” you might want to switch the language on your phone.

4. “People ask you to speak in your foreign language all the time.” – Zach Wakefield, junior, French major

People typically don’t ask finance majors to spontaneously balance their checkbook, or English majors to jot down a piece of writing on the spot, but if your major is in a language, be prepared with some phrases at all times.

5. “I find myself writing some of my notes in English-speaking classes in another language.” – Lauren Seitz, senior, French major

Not only does this reinforce language skills, it makes cheating off notes very difficult for monolingual students.

6. “Your favorite show on Netflix is in the language you study.” – Anna Stephens, sophomore, Spanish major

If you are in a major where binge-watching television could actually improve your grades, you are doing something right.

7. “You can tell how bad the subtitles on foreign films are.” – Zach Wakefield, junior, French major

Sometimes the gift of tongues can be more like a curse.

8. “Math makes you cry, history makes you sleep and science is closer to an art than a class, but no matter how tired you are, you’re genuinely excited for your language classes everyday.” –Becca Messer, freshman, French and Japanese major