Seniors ready to lead Ball State to new heights

Junior opposite hitter Kelly Hopkins hits the ball across the net against Central Michigan on Nov. 1 at Worthen Arena. Hopkins had eight kills. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State seniors

Alex Fuelling - Outside hitter

Marissa Hine - Defensive specialist

Kelly Hopkins - Middle blocker

Amanda Raker - Middle blocker

Jenna Spadafora - Setter

Kati Vasalakis - Defensive specialist

Head coach Steve Shondell said there is a new vibe around the Ball State women's volleyball team this season.

The team recently held its preseason dinner to kick off the season. Last season, there were no seniors on the Cardinals' roster. But this year's team will feature six players in their final campaign.

"We may have a lot of the same players this year, but this team comes in with a much different attitude," Shondell said.

Alex Fuelling, Marissa Hine, Kelly Hopkins, Amanda Raker, Jenna Spadafora and Kati Vasalakis are seniors for Ball State this year.

All of them played a key role on last season's team that finished 17-13 (11-5). Although there were some bright spots, the young Cardinals were inconsistent at times.

They were bounced in their first match of the Mid-American Conference Tournament to Western Michigan.

The seniors are unsatisfied with the loss, however, and are hungry for more. They are letting the freshmen know what they expect this season.

"We want [the freshmen] to perform at a high level throughout the season and during the tournament because we want to walk out with the title," Hopkins said. "We won't just sit back and expect them to step up, though. We will be playing at a high level, too, and be leading by example."

Hopkins, a fifth-year middle blocker, was a redshirt her freshman year and watched her teammates play in the NCAA tournament. Since then, her team has not been able to reach that level again. falling in the first round of the MAC Tournament every year.

She will be a key in the middle this year, as Ball State lost former middle Hayley Benson who left for Long Beach State upon graduating.

With so much experience, however, Hopkins sees the Cardinals' fates changing.

"I want to feel that NCAA Tournament atmosphere again," Hopkins said. "And the whole team is coming in very confident and feel that we can take ourselves there and think this is our year."

But in order for the Cardinals to succeed in matches, hard work is required off the court as well.

The seniors are taking it upon themselves to show the freshmen what the college life is about. There are six true freshmen on the roster, along with two redshirt freshmen.

"We know the better they are outside of volleyball, the better they will be inside of it," Raker said.

The strong showing of leadership coupled with experience and development has Shondell very confident in his team.

He feels that they are starting to mesh well together.

"I don't want to jump too far because we are only a few days into the preseason, but everything is going well for the team so far," Shondell said. "I'm very happy and trust that the seniors are going to do well as the leaders."

The Cardinals will open the season on Aug. 28, hosting the Active Ankle Challenge. Ball State will take on Albany, Belmont and New Mexico over the weekend.

"We have a lot of expectations on us with all the experience on this team, and the other seniors and I are ready to lead this team farther then we have gone in our past years here," Hopkins said.