Slut Walk participants call for end to sexual assault victim blaming

The second annual Slut Walk took place on April 17 on the Ball State Campus. Participants walked down McKinnley Ave., shared personal stories, and shouted chants. DN PHOTO ALISON CARROLL

Feminists for Action hosted its second rally called Slut Walk. Participants held signs and chanted against slut shaming and rape culture.

“Slut shaming is using the term 'slut' or other words to demean specifically a woman for liking sex, or seeking out sex, using sexuality to degrade women,” Aly Austin, Feminists for Action president, said. "Rape culture is a set of ideas and beliefs that support and excuse rape, like what a woman was wearing or how much she drank — anything that would give rapist a reason [to rape].”

About 150 people walked from the Quad, through the Scramble Light and to LaFollette Complex.

The walk encouraged participants to wear as much or as little clothing as they felt comfortable. Many participants had slurs painted in red on their skin.

A sophomore journalism major, Ashley Abila had painted "c--t" in large letters across her torso.

“I feel like c--t is a word that guys have been using to describe a person a lot lately, so I thought it was a good thing to have painted on me,” Abila said.

Abila said she chose to participate in the walk because she does not believe a person should be labeled by the clothes they wear. Another protestor walked in lingerie.

“I should be able to wear whatever I want, whenever I want. I shouldn’t have to be scared at night,” said Macy Whitacre, a sophomore geology major.

Protestors held signs while chanting, “It’s a skirt, not a flirt. It’s a dress, not a yes.” The signs expressed opinions on rape culture such as, “How to stop rape culture: Step 1. Don’t rape.” and, “Because the thing men are most scared of in prison is the same thing women are scared of on a sidewalk.”

Slut Walk began in Toronto after women repeatedly appealed to the local police for increased protection and awareness of sexual assault. After their attempts were ignored, Slut Walk was created, according to the Slut Walk Toronto website.

The founders chose the name of the walk in response to a Toronto police officer who said women should avoid dressing like sluts in order to avoid being victimized.

All walks are independent and have had other names, like STRUTWalk or Consent Walk, according to the website.

Austin said despite her background in activism, Slut Walk is special to her because of the nature of the title.

“I’ve lead a lot of protests, but this one is so different because it gets right to the point: stop raping us," Austin said. "I'm tired of the buddy system, or, 'Just watch how much you drink.' Stop raping us."