Industrial market expanding

Developing a city takes careful planning, pristine execution and timely construction.

Three shell buildings located in Delaware county wait to be filled with business. Vice president of the economic and development alliance, Terry Murphy, works to bring companies in to the area.

“The thing that makes those properties advantageous is that they are already built,” says Murphy. “So a company coming to look at an area, if they can’t find it in an available building, then they have to build. These buildings save companies from eight to ten months in construction time.”

His main focus is bringing in new businesses, but also keeping current businesses happy and progressing.

“That’s where the bulk of your job growth comes from…is your existing businesses.”

There are other variables that go into deciding what businesses come into Delaware County. Murphy makes sure that the companies are compatible with the already standing work force and can function well with the population and education that is here in Muncie.

“We want to make sure that we get something that is a good match for the community, and is a company that is going to be here for the long term.”

Change will continue in Delaware County as the summer months approach. The hotel located in downtown Muncie, close to Walnut Street, is targeted to be complete by the end of 2015.