Secretary General of the International Political Science Association to speak at Ball State

Guy Lachapelle, "The Global Development of Political Science"

Where: Cardinal Hall A, L.A. Pittenger Student Center

When: 4 to 5 p.m. Monday, March 16

Guy Lachapelle

Editor's Note: In a previous version of this article, it was implied that Lachapelle had not spoken in the U.S. before.

Guy Lachapelle, the Secretary General of the International Political Science Association, will be speaking at Ball State from 4 to 5 p.m. today.

Teh-Kuang Chang, a political science professor and faculty adviser of the International Studies Association, said they’ve invited Lachapelle in order to promote the study of international relations in political science and to talk about how political science has developed globally.

“He’s talking about the international association of the impact of political science, especially about peace and harmony and the challenge of the government of the world,” Chang said.

Lachapelle is also a professor in the political science department at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.

The lecture is sponsored by the International Studies Association, the Student Government Association, the Multicultural Center, the Center for International Development, the Rinker Center and the political science department.

“Every student — no matter … their study — everybody is governed by the local city, state, nation,” Chang said. “You know about the Vietnam war, you know about the Iraq war, terrorists — that is political science.”

Chang said Lachapelle wouldn’t be able to talk about all of the problems of the world during his one-hour lecture, but he would be able to guide students in how to study world problems and how to cooperate in different countries.

The lecture is taking place in Cardinal Hall A in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. It’s free and open to the public.