Pop Culture Catchup

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Jeff Gordon waits in the garage prior to practice at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C., on Friday, May 16, 2014. (Jeff Siner/Charlotte Observer/MCT)

Erin Gladieux is a junior telecommunications and journalism major and writes ‘Pop Culture Catch Up’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of the paper. Write to Erin at engladieux@bsu.edu

Jeff Gordon quits racing full time

One of Indiana’s own is stepping down despite experiencing what could possibly be the height of his career.

NASCAR legend Jeff Gordon announced Thursday that the 2015 season will be his last as a full-time driver.

In 2014 alone, Gordon won four races. He also placed sixth in the Sprint Cup standings, finished in the top five on 14 occasions and captured three pole positions.

“I'm proud of the career I've had & knew this day would come, but I'll be involved with @TeamHendrick for many years to come,” Gordon tweeted Thursday morning.

Other drivers, teammates and even some competitors, took to Twitter to reflect on No. 24’s career.

Danica Patrick tweeted, “Crazy to hear that @JeffGordonWeb is retiring! What an amazing career! Glad I got to race with him!”

Dale Earnhardt Jr. wrote, “Hard to imagine this is @JeffGordonWeb last full season. Tons of respect for him and what he’s accomplished thus far. A total professional.”

Jimmie Johnson simply said, “Crazy… You’re the man!”

According to foxnews.com, Hendrick has not named a replacement for Gordon yet, but reigning Xfinity Series champion Chase Elliot is in talks to take over the No.24 Chevrolet.

Lindsay Lohan facing jail time. Again.

It’s been a while since Lindsay Lohan has been in the news and we thought it was for good reasons.

Turns out, she only completed about half of the 640 community service hours assigned to her after the 2012 reckless driving case.

A judge gave Lohan an extension in November. Like any reasonable celebrity, Lohan celebrated with a vacation in Bora Bora.

The excuses for not completing her service hours seem a little iffy.

Her lawyer, Shawn Holley, plans to argue that Lohan “failed to complete the required hours due to contracting a mosquito virus while on vacation AND she'll reason that the assigned community service center in London was closed for two weeks during the holidays.”

Maybe she should have completed her hours before going on vacation. But we’ll let the judge decide.

Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo joining “So You Think You Can Dance” judging panel

New judges Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo plan to join Nigel Lythgoe for the 12th season of “So You Think You Can Dance."

"With the new and exciting format comes a new and exciting panel of judges,” said Lythgoe. “Paula is an incredible artist and she brings the perfect combination of expertise and heart to the panel. Jason's insight, humor and creativity will add a new perspective to the panel that we haven't had before.”

No word yet from Derulo, but Abdul’s rep said in a press release that the show “has a long-standing history of launching brilliant careers for young choreographers and dancers in the industry. It's going to be a true honor and pleasure joining this panel with Jason and Nigel, and I'm looking forward to an exciting new season!"

While Abdul and Derulo prep for the premiere, long time “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Mary Murphy will be cleaning out her side of the judge’s table. And not by choice either.

"I'm saddened of course to be released from my contract," Murphy said in a statement Monday. "I'm very grateful and proud to have been part of such an extraordinary television show.”