Active community member, Ball State alum dies at 69

Ball State alum and Muncie resident John H. Bowles died at the age of 69.

Dale Basham, president of the Muncie Rotary Club of which Bowles was a member, said Bowles was very motivated to improve Muncie. Basham said he couldn’t even remember a time when Bowles wasn’t involved in the Rotary Club.

“He was an active man in the community,” Basham said. “He just loved Muncie.”

Basham worked with Bowles on the Muncie Cityscape Project.

“He was very interested in making sure that the project was created with the highest possible standards,” Basham said. “He was very passionate about Downtown Muncie and wanted to see it brought back to a dynamic, vibrant downtown.”

Bowles was born to John and Mary Bowles in Muncie. He graduated in 1963 from Muncie Central High School and in 1967 from Ball State with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

After serving in the Air Force, Bowles began working for Industrial Trust and Savings in 1969. Bowles worked his way up to vice president, but left in 1985 to become the executive vice president of STAR Financial Bank. He was named as president of the company in 1987. In 2004, Bowles took a job at Mutual Federal Savings Bank as senior vice president, and held this title until he retired in 2012.

Bowles was on the Minnetrista Finance and Investment Committee, the Muncie Public Library Board of Directors, the Economic Development Alliance for Muncie-Delaware County and vice chair for the Ball State Alumni Council.

He was awarded the Spirit of Chief Munsee award in 1995 and the Ball State College of Business Award of Distinction in 2000.

Bowles is survived by his wife Christina M. (Ridder) Bowles, his daughter Laura C. Bowles and his son John R. (Courtney) Bowles. He is also survived by two granddaughters, a sister, nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews.

Bowles was preceded in death by his parents, his sister Joanne Flowers and his aunt.