University police to host charity event

University Police Department Officer Eric Reffitt takes a dive after bystanders hit the mark of the dunk tank. Students can dunk-a-cop from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on August  at the Scramble Light. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP
University Police Department Officer Eric Reffitt takes a dive after bystanders hit the mark of the dunk tank. Students can dunk-a-cop from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on August at the Scramble Light. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

What: Dunk A Cop

Where: The Scramble Light

When: 10am to 2pm

How much: $1 for 3 balls, $5 automatic dunk

UPDATE: Today’s Dunk-A-Cop event has been canceled due to the severe weather according to an email sent by Telecommunications Officer Melody Davis. As of publication, the event has not been rescheduled.

The University Police Department is set to make a splash Friday for the second annual Dunk-A-Cop event at the Scramble Light. 

Officers Travis Stephens and Michael Lucas are two cops who will participate in the event, which raises money for the Special Olympics of Indiana. 

Stephens, who has been with UPD for almost five years, is returning to the event for the second time. 

“It’s a good way to connect with the student body and let them see a different side of us besides all the negative stuff,” Stephens said. 

Lucas, who has been with UPD for two years, said this is his first time taking part in the event. 

“A lot of the contacts we have with students are mostly negative and we just want to shake hands, meet people and have a good time,” Lucas said. 

Lucas said there are some misconceptions about the relationship between UPD and students. 

“There will always be disrespectful people and people who are not fully aware of our jurisdiction,” he said, “We are there to help and most people do understand that.”

Both Stephens and Lucas said they always knew they wanted to become police officers. 

“Some people were just born with it,” Stephens said. “They have the desire to help people and protect them; it’s a calling.” 

Lucas said he knew since he was six years old that he wanted to be a cop. “I believe that it’s got to be in your blood,” he said. 

Stephens said he hopes the event helps make students and the public more comfortable in coming forward with information and speaking to the police.  

The police department also participates in the Polar Plunge every year, which raises money for the Special Olympics as well. 

Students can bring their bicycles and register them with UPD during the event.