University signs 5-year contract with Papa John's

<p><strong>Papa John's</strong> will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. <strong>PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG</strong></p>

Papa John's will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG  

The university signed a five-year contract with Papa John’s to bring a franchise to the Atrium by mid-September.

Here are seven points from the 39-page contract, provided to the Daily News from a public records request.

1. The price of the items is up to the franchise, not Ball State.

2. Unless the contract is terminated early, Papa John’s will be on campus until 2019. Papa John’s has the option to renew the contract for another five years afterward, but it isn’t an auto-renew contract.

3. Papa John’s may create marketing — Twitter or Facebook accounts, for example. The university also must approve the account beforehand, including samples of the screen names and proposed screenshots.

4. The university will approve a Papa John’s designated principal operator of the franchise, who will complete university training requirements.

5. The pizza restaurant must use food, ingredients, cooking materials and other necessary items that the university approves. If the franchise wants to use something that isn’t pre-approved, they must give the university samples of the items beforehand.

6. Papa John’s has to sell items that the university specifies beforehand, including pizza and other food. However, a vendor Papa John’s chooses can provide drinks.

7. The university can terminate the contract with notice if somebody with more than 5 percent ownership of the franchise transfers their stake without written consent from the university or if they are convicted of a felony or a crime involving “moral turpitude.”

To view the full contract, click here.

Related article: