BORN IN A BALL JAR: Despite season premiere spoilers, fans remain interested in 'The Legend of Korra'

<p><strong>PHOTO COURTESY OF GALLERYHIP.COM</strong></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF GALLERYHIP.COM

Jordan Huffer is a junior photojournalism major and writes ‘Born in a Ball Jar’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper or The Daily. Write to Jordan at jahuffer@bsu.edu.

Previous Avatars appear to Korra in the final moments of Book 1. The new season of “The Legend of Korra” premieres Friday on Nickelodeon in a three-part special.PHOTO COURTESY OF GALLERYHIP.COM

Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Two weeks ago, “The Legend of Korra” fans sat in anticipation, waiting for any news of the return of their beloved show.

Then, like a gift from above, it appeared in the form of a single screenshot of an attractive looking older woman, obviously from the “Avatar” universe. Who was she? What connection did she have to our established characters? Yes, it was a leak, but it caused more questions than answers.

Then, the floodgates opened.

But let’s back up for a second. “ The Legend of Korra” is the sequel to “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” which ran for three seasons on Nickelodeon from 2005 until 2008. It was about Aang, a 12-year-old boy who could control the four elements of nature, called the Avatar. With the help of his friends, he set out to end the Hundred Year War.

It was an epic tale that was spiritual in nature and ended with the good guys winning and the hero getting the girl, as all tales should end.

A few years after the end of the first show, Nickelodeon announced plans for “The Legend of Korra.” The main character is Korra, a 17-year-old Avatar. Her character is different from most young women in children’s action shows. With dark skin and muscles, she’s not something that you’d find on many cartoons. Her appearance was actually modeled after female athletes, including MMA fighter Gina Carano and pole vaulter Allison Stokke.

The second season of the show premiered in Fall 2013 and the entire fandom has been on edge waiting for the third season. So when the single screenshot appeared, we all were ecstatic. Then more started rolling in. They were of some established characters, new scenes and even of 87-year-old Lord Zuko, a fan favorite from the original show.

It turned out that these screenshots were from four episodes that had been leaked from a Spanish Nickelodeon affiliate.

Even though the episodes were in Spanish, it only took a few hours for translated scripts and gifs to flood Tumblr. Key plot points were revealed and even the mysterious woman was revealed to be the daughter of a member of the original cast.

This wasn’t the first leak that the “Avatar” franchise has had to deal with, but it was definitely the biggest. The creators of the show, Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko were disappointed in the leaks, saying on Tumblr that they had put a lot of work into making this season perfect and worried that the leaks would ruin the story.

They couldn’t be more wrong.

Every fan I know are excited by the leaks. The characters, the story, the villains, the animation, literally everything that we saw, only made us want this season more. It promises to be the best season of “Avatar” ever, the first series included. And I am so excited to see it.

“The Legend of Korra” season premieres with a special three-part event at 7 p.m. Friday on Nickelodeon. I will tune in, excited as ever for what the franchise will give us next.