University of Maine faculty members wish Paul Ferguson had stayed

University of Maine President Paul Ferguson answers questions from faculty and staff about the flagship

Paul Ferguson’s career at the University of Maine:

• Tuition remained frozen while he was in office.
  • Faculty research funding increased by $42,602.
  • He helped create the Blue Sky Plan, which looks to balance the budget and reconnect the university with the community.
  • The total university enrollment rose by less than one percent.
  • New, first-year student enrollment rose by nearly 20 percent.
  • Bachelor degrees conferred fell by 11 percent.

Source: maine.edu

University of Maine President Paul Ferguson facilitated a forum where University of Maine System Chancellor James Page and University of Maine trustees Gregory Johnson and Samuel Collin spoke about the budget cuts. Ferguson was working on the University of Maine’s budget before he accepted the role of Ball State’s 15th president, which starts Aug. 1. GABOR DEGRE, BANGOR DAILY NEWS By Gabor Degre

University of Maine President Paul Ferguson answers questions from faculty and staff about the flagship’s budget and any vacant positions. Ferguson will take office as Ball State’s 15th president Aug. 1. KEVIN BENNETT, BANGOR DAILY NEWS

After receiving a warm welcome at Ball State, Paul Ferguson returns to a rocky university system that is dipping into reserve funds just to stay afloat.

Harlan Onsrud, the University of Maine’s outgoing Faculty Senate president, said he wasn’t shocked by Ferguson’s announcement to leave.

He said Ferguson faced difficulties trying to work within a system of seven universities. Onsrud said other campus presidents and faculty members pushed back Ferguson’s attempts on balancing the budget of the flagship university.

These difficulties made it hard to enact and negotiate some of the broad-reaching, budget-tightening changes set forth in the Blue Sky Plan, a future-focused strategic plan.

“[Ferguson] is contending with a University of Maine system that was philosophically at odds from building a very strong land-grant and sea-grant university,” Onsrud said.

Emmanuel Boss, a Faculty Senate member and professor of oceanography at the University of Maine, echoed Onsrud’s comments, saying Ferguson faced issues in the office.

“[Ferguson’s] job was not made easy by reasons that did not depend on him,” he said. “It is hard to make things better in that environment.”

The only complaint many University of Maine faculty and professors have about Ferguson is that he won’t be staying longer.

Onsrud said he wished Ferguson would have stuck around to implement the school’s Blue Sky Plan.

Source: maine.edu

“The major complaint that people have is that they would have liked him to stay longer,” Onsrud said. “Not so much complaints about his work, but about a job left undone. I wish he would have stayed longer.”

Ferguson’s departure won’t mean the end to changes on the flagship’s campus, though.

“Universities are big organizations, and they don’t depend on one person,” Boss said. “If we depended on one person to be who we are, our position would be really bad. We can make a mark no matter what.”

Margaret Nagle, a University of Maine spokesperson, said there are no updates in the search for a new president.

Onsrud said although Ferguson did many great things for the university in his three years at the helm, like improving applicants and working to balance the school’s budget, the university will continue to function as it always has after he leaves in August.

Ferguson will take over as Ball State’s president Aug. 1.

“The university had been around for 150 years with lots of transitions,” Onsrud said. “Paul Ferguson was a substantial improvement over the previous president, and I hope we get another good one in the future.”