'It’s a full circle type of thing:' Wapahani's Isaac Andrews, Delta's D'Amare Hood compete in Hoosier Reunion All-Star Classic

Wapahani senior Isaac Andrews shoots 3-point-shot during the Hoosier Reunion All-Star Classic April 27 at Hoosier Gym. Andrews always dreamed of playing in the famed Hoosier Gym in Knightstown. Andrew Berger, DN

KNIGHTSTOWN, IN – When Isaac Andrews was a year old, his family visited Hoosier Gym, the site of the basketball film ‘Hoosiers.’ The Wapahani senior’s father – and Raiders’ boys’ basketball assistant coach – helped Isaac dribble a ball. 

Earlier today, Andrews – with former AAU teammate and Delta senior D’Amare Hood – attended the gym once again for one of his final high school basketball games. 

“If you’re from Indiana, you have seen the movie. At least you better have,” Isaac said. “The court is a little small, and it makes it tough to play.”   

The gym has hosted the Hoosier Reunion All-Star Classic since 2005 and has featured the top girls’ and boys’ basketball seniors in Indiana. For this addition, Andrews and Hood were selected to play on the court where the Hickory Huskers became an iconic name.  

“I’ve been here once, but this was the first time I’ve taken shots on the court,” Hood said. “It was cool and sharing the court with these guys was good.” 

Over the last four years, the two cross-county opponents had multiple run-ins and attempted to outplay the other. Yet in the classic, they both dressed in Terhune Tigers uniforms and made plays, including an assist from Hood that set up a 3-pointer from Isaac. 

“It was kind of a throwback [to AAU],” Isaac said. 

HoosierGym_08
Delta senior D'Amare Hood takes a 3-point-shot during the Hoosier Reunion All-Star Classic April 27 at Hoosier Gym. Hood is committed to the University of Saint Francis. Andrew Berger, DN

While the contest ended in favor of Hickory 132-129, the game was one of enjoyment for both seniors. Both representatives of the 765 finished with the same stat line of five points, one rebound, one assist and one steal. With other names like Kokomo senior Flory Bidunga and Noblesville senior Aaron Fine, the skill level was high. 

“It’s very similar to AAU,” Hood said. “It was cool to be able to play with them on the same team.”  

For Isaac, he will play in one more event as he was chosen for the Indiana All-Star team. The game against Kentucky will be played in June. He has also shared some of his recruitment process via X, but is still undecided. 

Multiple members from the Wapahani community made the stop to see one of their guards’ final games. They have been there for all of his achievements including the moment he became the school’s all-time leading scorer, Delaware County’s all-time leading scorer and when the Raiders played in the 2A State Championship game. 

Yet Jeff was there the very first time his son entered the doors of the historic gym.

“It’s a full circle type of thing,” Jeff said. “...We’re just trying to enjoy every bit of it and watch him have the time of his life.” 

However, Hood’s time on the hardwood this afternoon was his final high school game as he is heading to St. Francis-Fort Wayne. He leaves Delta basketball being a 1,000-point career scorer and helped the Eagles become back-to-back regional champions in his junior and senior seasons. 

To the forward, if there was any way to finish his career, this was the place to do it. 

“For this to be my last game and to play with these guys, it was nice,” he said. 

Contact Zach Carter with comments at zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on X @ZachCarter85