Productivity tips to survive the semester

With three weeks before the year is over, we’re all wondering how everything is going to get done — parties to attend, apartments to move out of and passing classes. We have a few tips to help you accomplish what you need to and survive the semester without completely losing your mind.

Change locations You may not have much control over your mental focus these next couple weeks, but you can control your physical space. If you can’t get anything done in your bedroom and sitting in front of the TV, try working in the corner of Bracken Library. Work for an hour, then move somewhere new, taking breaks in between. It’s hard to do new work in old spaces, so keep blood moving and ideas coming by not sticking around in one spot too long. Make reasonable to-do lists Don’t go to bed feeling guilty that you didn’t catch up on everything you could have possibly done — you’re not going to conquer the whole world in one day. Write your to-do lists on no bigger than a 3x3 post-it note, including the absolute essentials only for your day. The confidence of crossing off everything gives you momentum for the next day. Prioritize As ambiguous and difficult as it is, you have to take the time to figure out what you actually have to do and let the other stuff drop. When it comes to crunch time, essentials are, well, essential. Write out a priority list and keep to it in your daily decisions. This might mean quitting an activity you love or missing out on an extra party or two, but if you try to do everything, you’ll do nothing well. Be a human first You work better when you eat right. You work better when you sleep right. You work better with regular exercise. It’s tempting to carb up and survive on naps when there’s just so much to get done, but you’re a human being before you’re a student. Your brain needs good fuel, so don’t let the stress of productivity keep you from taking care of yourself. You’ll be happier and work better as a result. Get help You’re not alone in your terrifying journey to pass classes. Take advantage of fellow classmates and semester-end study sessions. Most professors are more than willing to help you succeed. Maybe you’ve been a jerk and a slacker all semester, but it’s always worth kindly asking for extensions, extra credit or extra help. The worst a professor can do is say no.

Shake notification distractions Things are going to take twice as long if you let every Twitter mention and dance song on a playlist interrupt your workflow. Download browser extensions that lock you out of social media, such as StayFocusd for Chrome, and put your phone on airplane mode to foster bursts of productivity. If nothing else, turn off pinging notifications for every single time someone interacts with you.