Muncie Sanitary District says flooding just part of their day

Randy Wright, a member of the Muncie Sanitary District, uses a rake April 3 to clear the sewer drains on Ball Avenue. Wright worked to fix draining issues from the heavy rains .

DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY
Randy Wright, a member of the Muncie Sanitary District, uses a rake April 3 to clear the sewer drains on Ball Avenue. Wright worked to fix draining issues from the heavy rains . DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

As Muncie slowly fills with water, Wiley Flak and Randy Wright of the Muncie Sanitary District, carefully drive their truck through the streets to help residents.

They walk past the wound-up hoses and equipment on their truck to grab two rakes and begin wading to where they assume the sidewalk is, scraping the build up out of the storm drains.

Whenever Muncie gets high waters from rain, Wright and Flak wade through the knee-deep streets. To them, it’s just another day on the job — for Wright, it has been this way for the past few years while Flak is in his first year. 

“There’s about 500 other places just like this one,” Wright said.

They follow calls from residents and landlords wherever water isn’t draining properly.

So far, there are 27 calls, and they are getting a new one every two to three minutes.

“It’s just part of our day,” Wright said.

Their department has about 20 people, Flak said, but there are more helping out.

The best advice Wright said they give residents is to stay inside. He’s seen three cars being pulled out of the water today.

The two don’t know when they will be be able to clock out and go home to see what their own streets look like.

“They tell us to work all night, we work all night,” Wright said.

RELATED: See what has been affected by flooding at the university and in Muncie