Alive Campaign works to appreciate life, raise suicide awareness

Carmen Diaz, a senior social work major, listens to a victims story at the Suicide Awareness Candlelight Vigil on Sept. 10. The vigil honored victims and survivors of suicide and those with depression. DN FILE PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

A rundown for Self-Injury and Suicide Awareness Week

TODAY
Information table
11 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Atrium

WEDNESDAY
Information table
11 a.m.-2 p.m. at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center

Crisis Intervention Training, sign up at alive@bsu.edu
7 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Teachers College Room 121

THURSDAY
Light up the Night Candlelight Vigil
8:30-10:30 p.m. at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Halls A and B

FRIDAY
Dress in orange or blue to support awareness of self-harm and suicide

SUNDAY
Out of the Darkness Walk
_Check-in is at noon
Walk is at 1 p.m., starting at the Atrium patio
Donate or register at http://bit.ly/N2×7QQ_

Monday marked the start of Self-Injury and Suicide Awareness Week. The Alive Campaign, a Ball State student organization, is hosting a week of events to raise awareness about suicide prevention.

The organization is the only chapter of the original Alive Campaign based in Waco, Texas. It formed after a group of individuals noticed a need for more organizations on campuses to spread awareness after a friend died by suicide, said member Carmen Diaz.

The Ball State chapter formed in 2008 when four students shared the same concern. The campaign members today consider themselves as part of a life appreciation organization.

“We want to give people a reason to believe in life,” Brandon Puszkiewicz, executive director of the group, said. “So [we] spread awareness and we think we can make a difference. It’s not just a campus problem but also a national problem.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide was the 10th leading cause of death in 2010 with 38,364 deaths.

Ways to get help

• Talk to someone. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to a family member or friend, contact a member at the Alive Campaign at alive@bsu.edu.
  • Join group therapy at the Counseling Center in Lucina Hall Room 320.