Schoolboy Q looks to gain fans' attention with new album

Kendrick Lamar’s “good kid, m.A.A.d City” topped the hip-hop charts in 2013, but this year it might be somebody else from Top Dawg Entertainment taking the title.

Schoolboy Q has long been in the shadow of Lamar, the leader of the pack. However, his new album may just place Schoolboy Q on the throne. His new album, “Oxymoron,” will drop Tuesday, and it is already shaping up to be one of the top hip-hop albums of the year.

The first single off the album, “Collard Greens,” which features Lamar, cracked the top 30 on the Billboard hip-hop charts last year and still gets airplay on hip-hop and R&B stations across the United States. As soon as the single was sent to radio stations, hip-hop heads were anxious to see what he would do next. Schoolboy Q went on to release two more tracks from the upcoming album: “Break The Bank” and “Man of the Year.” The latter track just entered the top 40 on the Billboard hip-hop charts.

Schoolboy Q released the track listing Feb. 3. The album is full of big-time features as well as producers. Notable producers include DJ Dahi (“good kid, m.A.A.d City”), Tae Beast (Ab-Soul) and The Alchemist (Action Bronson, Curren$y and Eminem). The features on the album are even bigger. Schoolboy Q recruited 2 Chainz, Kurupt, Raekwon and Tyler, The Creator as well as TDE members Lamar and Jay Rock.

Schoolboy Q has continuously promoted the album on his Twitter account and has reached 542,000 followers. He also announced that there would be a tour for the “Oxymoron” album. The tour will make 67 stops but not in Indiana. The closest stops will be in Chicago, Grand Rapids, Mich., and Columbus, Ohio. The tour also makes stops across Europe.

If the rest of “Oxymoron” is like the released three singles, then this album will be in strong contention for the best hip-hop album of 2014.